We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

breatheheavy

Only 166,000 People Tuned In To MTV's TRL Reboot

Just stop.

MTV's attempt to shift the focus back onto went unnoticed.

2017 keeps churning out reboots and remakes, so MTV hopped on the bandwagon. They decided to revive TRL, which no one asked for. Yes, like American Idol. And the numbers don't lie – it was a disappointing turnout.

Showbuzz shared live+same-day viewer data. Monday’s episode drew an abysmal 0.10 adults 18-49 rating and averaged 166,000 overall viewers. It's especially horrendous considering they had some pretty high-profile acts featured (Ed Sheeran and Migos).

Why wasn't it a bigger success (in terms of numbers)? Because Ed Sheehan and Migos are available a few taps away on your smart phone. TRL worked in the early 2000s because social media did not exist, and really the only place viewers could soak up their favorite tunes and videos was on television. It was also competing against things actually worth watching, like coverage of the Las Vegas tragedy and President Trump throwing toilet paper at the citizens of Puerto Rico like he was the performing in a rock show (gross).

To put things into perspective, 166,000 viewers is less than half the amount of people watching when it was cancelled in 2008.

EW posted a scathing review of it.

Also it's worthing pointing out there was no "request" in yesterday's Total Request Live, nor was there any music videos or any comment on the show's new format. But it's 2017 and we all live in a fantasy world anyway so it's fine.

Did YOU watch TRL? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

is anyone shocked? the kids & teens who watched trl have grown up & moved on & today's young audience have access to everything online. why wait for them to play a video when u can watch it instantly on youtube? a pathetic attempt to revive mtv after it turned to sh!t with reality shows.

17 minutes ago, Shadow. said:

is anyone shocked? the kids & teens who watched trl have grown up & moved on & today's young audience have access to everything online. why wait for them to play a video when u can watch it instantly on youtube? a pathetic attempt to revive mtv after it turned to sh!t with reality shows.

Not a coincidence TRL died when YouTube and vevo started

I watched some clips. It looked like an out of control party while the original, it used to feel like a very intimate get together, not a rager. 

They took away the only aspect of the show that could have made it interesting - a daily countdown of videos that people requested that day. And then you have guests on from those very same videos. If you look at the iTunes Charts the video chart is very different from the song chart, and that's very different from YouTube and that's different than iheart. This could have just been a different venue. It could have worked. It didn't have to be a train wreck but a train wreck it is. Smh

26 minutes ago, Shadow. said:

idg how they thought it could ever be revived. the industry & the way we consume music has changed so much.

MTV should just focus on music documentaries imo. I miss programs like Ultrasound and Making The Video. Now they just have shows about teens getting pregnant.

1 hour ago, danny1994 said:

MTV should just focus on music documentaries imo. I miss programs like Ultrasound and Making The Video. Now they just have shows about teens getting pregnant.

Yes! Making the video was my favorite, inspired me to study film. Definetly would love to see MTV do more unplugged, Making the video, behind the music, album release specials

26 minutes ago, DJSLAYZEE said:

Yes! Making the video was my favorite, inspired me to study film. Definetly would love to see MTV do more unplugged, Making the video, behind the music, album release specials

Nirvana unplugged is still my favorite live album of all time. Good news is unplugged is coming back.

Let me be the fucking adult here and tell you what ruin the good days and good times. The Millenials, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and the glorification of that lifestyle of not caring plus looking like sh!t with crazy fashion statements. You took your freedom of expression to an extreme to fit in. You took your neck and caused it more problems down the road. LOOK UP AND LIVE LIFE! If you notice the fashion of Carson Daly when TRL was at its best and then you turn on the new TRL the fashion and attitude. Its night and day. You basically took the fan to artist experience away with sorry to say like these "forums" like these allowing hate to be online. Meaning we have no more Britney vs Christina's or Backstreet vs Nsync anymore. Meaning your opinions and words are replaced by an emoji and cannot construct well-thought sentences The internet screwed with the listening to the radio, watching VIDEOS on MUSIC TELEVISION.I bet the majority of those who read this don't remember Napster? The youth ruin the Billboard Charts and the "#1 most requested video" of the day.  Remember what that is called and going to concerts safe without worrying about what happened in Las Vegas. Our diverse culture is fabulous and as many of the gay young men on here will not worry about their culture but more worry about being online and not going to their libraries to read a book. Nope, it's online! Do you see a pattern? I may be from the Carson Daly which I am proud of but you millennials and younger "leaders" ruin it. WAKE UP! Keep loving the Kardashians. NO ONE CARES ABOUT THAT FAMILY AND WHAT THEY REPRESENT!! KEEP GLORIFYING CELEBRITIES AND NOT THOSE WHO SERVE AND PROTECT YOU FREEDOM TO RUIN THE REAL TRL DAYS OF THE PURE LOVE FOR MUSIC! Do you know what is a VHS? VCR? Modern technology can fun but it comes at a cost. THINK ABOUT IT! 

EXAMPLE I LOVE BRITNEY SPEARS BUT https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britney_Spears_discography

LOOK AT THE NUMBERS IN SALES FROM BABY ONE MORE TIME TO GLORY. IT IS PATHETIC THAT THE DIGITAL AGE RUINED THE EXPERIENCE OF WORKING HARD FOR YOUR MONEY TO GO TO THE MALL TO BUY A VINYL, TAPE OR CD. IF IT IS NOT BROKEN DONT FIX IT. THINK ABOUT IT! 

3 hours ago, danny1994 said:

Making the video!

:letitburn:

1 hour ago, For Your Entertainment said:

Let me be the fucking adult here and tell you what ruin the good days and good times. The Millenials, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and the glorification of that lifestyle of not caring plus looking like sh!t with crazy fashion statements. You took your freedom of expression to an extreme to fit in. You took your neck and caused it more problems down the road. LOOK UP AND LIVE LIFE! If you notice the fashion of Carson Daly when TRL was at its best and then you turn on the new TRL the fashion and attitude. Its night and day. You basically took the fan to artist experience away with sorry to say like these "forums" like these allowing hate to be online. Meaning we have no more Britney vs Christina's or Backstreet vs Nsync anymore. Meaning your opinions and words are replaced by an emoji and cannot construct well-thought sentences The internet screwed with the listening to the radio, watching VIDEOS on MUSIC TELEVISION.I bet the majority of those who read this don't remember Napster? The youth ruin the Billboard Charts and the "#1 most requested video" of the day.  Remember what that is called and going to concerts safe without worrying about what happened in Las Vegas. Our diverse culture is fabulous and as many of the gay young men on here will not worry about their culture but more worry about being online and not going to their libraries to read a book. Nope, it's online! Do you see a pattern? I may be from the Carson Daly which I am proud of but you millennials and younger "leaders" ruin it. WAKE UP! Keep loving the Kardashians. NO ONE CARES ABOUT THAT FAMILY AND WHAT THEY REPRESENT!! KEEP GLORIFYING CELEBRITIES AND NOT THOSE WHO SERVE AND PROTECT YOU FREEDOM TO RUIN THE REAL TRL DAYS OF THE PURE LOVE FOR MUSIC! Do you know what is a VHS? VCR? Modern technology can fun but it comes at a cost. THINK ABOUT IT! 

EXAMPLE I LOVE BRITNEY SPEARS BUT https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britney_Spears_discography

LOOK AT THE NUMBERS IN SALES FROM BABY ONE MORE TIME TO GLORY. IT IS PATHETIC THAT THE DIGITAL AGE RUINED THE EXPERIENCE OF WORKING HARD FOR YOUR MONEY TO GO TO THE MALL TO BUY A VINYL, TAPE OR CD. IF IT IS NOT BROKEN DONT FIX IT. THINK ABOUT IT! 

but i feel like you're blaming millenials for internet? lol, plus, Millenials actually are people who consumed music the most, its people who are in their 20's and early 30's now, music consumerism stopped with the kids of new age, meaning born from 2000 and onwards, and even they are not to blame because internet happened, its simply not their fault. Although I agree us millenials are extremely egoistical, generally displeased and sad due to the fact we all feel like we need to be special and better than everyone else yet fail (because we are not), I dont think this one is on us. Millenials purchased music, and enjoyed TRL very much :mhm: 

I get theres no more countdown but honestly thats the only reason I would even check it out. To get my fave to number one and have friendly stan battles. Without the videos and countdown, it just another talk show with a bunch of nobodies. 

Yes we can access a video at anytime on youtube but theres bragging rights for a video countdown

1 hour ago, For Your Entertainment said:

Why are you putting the blame on me and my generation for technology advancing? What, did you think we were gonna be stuck in 2001 forever?

I actually still buy physical music, so go peddle that petty mess elsewhere. Britney's lack of sales has nothing to do with technology advancing btw. It's her lack of care and poor work ethic but go awf, I guess.

As time goes by, we're going to have more resources to do everything a lot easier than before. That's just the way life is. It's funny you mention Napster, because that gave birth to Limewire and Ares and Bearshare and all those other P2P torrent and illegal downloads started killing music sales. VCR at the time was fine, but we've moved onto better equipment that gives us better results. What, you'd prefer watching a new movie on VHS rather than an HD Blu-Ray disc?

21 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Why are you putting the blame on me and my generation for technology advancing? What, did you think we were gonna be stuck in 2001 forever?

I actually still buy physical music, so go peddle that petty mess elsewhere. Britney's lack of sales has nothing to do with technology advancing btw. It's her lack of care and poor work ethic but go awf, I guess.

As time goes by, we're going to have more resources to do everything a lot easier than before. That's just the way life is. It's funny you mention Napster, because that gave birth to Limewire and Ares and Bearshare and all those other P2P torrent and illegal downloads started killing music sales. VCR at the time was fine, but we've moved onto better equipment that gives us better results. What, you'd prefer watching a new movie on VHS rather than an HD Blu-Ray disc?

Yaaas epic clap back! :rihclap: