We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

breatheheavy

Demi Lovato Finds Her Sound On New Album 'Tell Me You Love Me': Stream

Her best album yet.

Demi Lovato's sixth studio album Tell Me You Love Me has arrived.

Demi released some serious pop bangers with 2015's Confident, but it didn't make the impact she had hoped it would, so the singer went back to the drawing board. Her new LP is an evolution. A few of the tracks are sugary sweet guilty pop pleasures, like "Daddy Issues" and "Sexy Dirty Love," but there's an element of soul that was lacking before. Confident definitely packed an emotional punch ("Stone Cold," "Father"), but Tell Me You Love Me is more consistently personal. It's a glimpse at her life as a 25-year-old, singing about the dissolution of a relationship, sexting and losing interest in a lover – they're feelings and experiences every Millennial can relate to.

“I don’t think that any of my songs are necessarily ‘made up,’” she said of the album, citing Aretha Franklin, Christina Aguilera and Kehlani as inspirations. “I relate to all of them through personal experiences. There are times when there are people that I write about and I don’t want it to sound too obvious, so I’ll disguise it a little bit.”

“And for the most part, my fans know what’s up,” she adds.

Stream Tell Me You Love Me below:

What's YOUR favorite track off Tell Me You Love Me? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

She cited Xtina's Stripped as the inspiration for this album, so I'll give it a listen out of curiosity due to my love for that album. But realistically, I think she probably will regret having admitted her source of inspiration, because the probability of this being even remotely on par with Stripped is very slim.  

1 hour ago, LostInAnImage said:

She cited Xtina's Stripped as the inspiration for this album, so I'll give it a listen out of curiosity due to my love for that album. But realistically, I think she probably will regret having admitted her source of inspiration, because the probability of this being even remotely on par with Stripped is very slim.  

What sucks is that  I listen to the album with that comparison in mind, and my only thought after listening was I don’t understand how that comparison was made. Maybe she was referencing opening up her soul and creating a personal record full of soul, and it is a great album, but I see no similarity to Stripped. Def a good album tho!!

41 minutes ago, Body Ache. said:

What sucks is that  I listen to the album with that comparison in mind, and my only thought after listening was I don’t understand how that comparison was made. Maybe she was referencing opening up her soul and creating a personal record full of soul, and it is a great album, but I see no similarity to Stripped. Def a good album tho!!

Yeah, I can imagine it's a fine line between honestly acknowledging the artists who have inspired you (for both ethical and legal reasons), vs having the public listen to your new material with preconceived notions about who/what it'll sound like (because in that case, the listener will automatically be trying to find similarities, like you mentioned, rather than simply hearing and judging the music based upon its own merit).

Plus, establishing concrete comparisons will generally always backfire on the younger artist, because even if they are really good, a sequel is hardly ever superior to the original.

But thanks for your review, I've never been a fan of Demi's, but do know she's a good singer, and am always eager to hear great new pop music. So I'll definitely try to listen to it with an open-mind! :)

Yasss!! Slay me Demetria!! 

I needed more melodramatic oversinging songs to scream in the shower!! And sassy bops for the car!!! 

Oh, and I'm making this Britney related with this gif that proves that Demi is a Britney "I'm a slave 4 u" stan.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Spearsfan said:

I loved all her albums...until this one. I can't even imagine a tour with it. 

Besides SNS nothing really stands out tbh 

Shockingly it's doing better than Miley 

Probably bc SNS has more success than YN the song... if Miley released the album after Malibu, she would do better tho for a self-written country album from a pop star she does good. 

44 minutes ago, ChosenSparkles said:

Probably bc SNS has more success than YN the song... if Miley released the album after Malibu, she would do better tho for a self-written country album from a pop star she does good. 

I think it's the worst country inspired album out of the pop stars. Kesha was the best and Joanne after tbh

SO, I've been listening to Demi and Miley's new music all morning - And i'm impressed by both. 

I've been seeing plenty of negative comments by people who i suspect didnt even give the album a full run through.

I was already in love with TMYLM just based off the promo-tracks. SNS is a sassy/vocal hit, while the title track takes an aim at my heart. I think the big change from this album from Confidence is that Demi turned into a little bit hoe-ish, def reflective in "Concentrate" and "Ruin the Friendship." It's great bedroom music, she's using more of falsetto than ever before. 

There's a decline of empowering tracks, which Demi has become known for and have always been my favs. "Cry Baby" is prob the closest. Many of these tracks have a troubling-realtionship theme, possibly inspired from her breakup with Wilmer.

Damn, on first listen  "Ruin the Friendship" is a fucking masterpiece. Minimalist sonically and lyrics are  genious. That base line, those horns, her toned down breathy vocals! Anyone else really feeling it?