We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Sign in to follow this  
Pedro Dantas

When did Madonna become a legend?

I'd say it was during the 1, 2, 3 puch that was Evita - Ray of Light - Music (hear me out).

True Blue certified her as an icon, LAP-TIC made her go to "icon with the potential to be a legend" status, but Erotica destroyed that. She went back to "icon" status". She stopped being the "main girl", being behing Janet, Whitney and Mariah. Bedtime Stories wasn't a flop but it wasn't that big. It was just there. She went to do Evita and got acclaim and a Golden Globe. She was on the right track. Then came Ray of Light. That's when she made her comeback. She surpassed those who were once above her: Janet, Mariah and Whitney. She got acclaim, a classic album, four Grammys, commercial sucess and much more. Music was the confirmation of her power, a follow-up you might say and, at the same time, the enjoyment of her legend status, especially outside of America. She got both the biggest song of 2000 (Music) and the 4th biggest (American Pie); and the 5th biggest song of 2001 (Don't Tell Me); all worldwide. That's when her legend status was just undeniable.

mar-27-2014-1825.gif?w=360&h=355&crop=1

Actually, I'd say that the Hard Candy era officially cemented her as that bitch. I'm saying it because it was not only her last commercially successful era, but she was also inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame that same year. Literally nothing else matters, she can flop into oblivion now but her legacy is now literally in the record books for eternity. Not to mention, prior to Hard Candy you had her official huge comeback Confessions, and Hung Up was recorded in the Guinness Book as topping the charts in 41 countries.

6 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Actually, I'd say that the Hard Candy era officially cemented her as that bitch. I'm saying it because it was not only her last commercially successful era, but she was also inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame that same year. Literally nothing else matters, she can flop into oblivion now but her legacy is now literally in the record books for eternity. Not to mention, prior to Hard Candy you had her official huge comeback Confessions, and Hung Up was recorded in the Guinness Book as topping the charts in 41 countries.

But wasn't she already a legend before that? :mhmsureny: In my opinion, Hard Candy simply cimented her legacy even further (and gave me my first taste of Madonna). :mattafact:

6 minutes ago, Pedro Dantas said:

But wasn't she already a legend before that? :mhmsureny: In my opinion, Hard Candy simply cimented her legacy even further (and gave me my first taste of Madonna). :mattafact:

I mean yeah, but why stop at M when you're already at Z? :mattafact:

Just now, BoyToySoldier said:

I mean yeah, but why stop at M when you're already at Z? :mattafact:

I was talking about when she "became" a legend. That's why I think Hard Candy isn't the right awnser. :mattafact: She was already a legend before that. Hard Candy was just further proof of her legendary-ness. :queenriri:

I'd say the Who's That Girl Tour. I know that's early, but back then, Madonna was on top w/ Michael Jackson and Prince—the Trinity of the '80s.

1987-xx-xx-madonna-whos-that-girl-world-

81cx3xDJNoL._SY550_.jpg

13201_0.jpg

These images, the aura conveyed, say it all. Madonna even won an MTV Video Vanguard Award as early as 1986 (award later renamed the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award in 1991).

The year 1990 (Vogue/d*ck Tracy/I'm Breathless/Blond Ambition/Justify My Love) just cemented her legendary status (and most of it was clearly documented in Truth or Dare/In Bed With Madonna released in 1991). Then there was Erotica, but she was already a legend. The Girlie Show proved she was untouchable.

To this day, if not mistaken, no other major female (or even male) pop star went as far as Madonna went in SEX. The only other major musician that went as far is Marilyn Manson in s(AINT)—another legend.

She was honestly already a legend well before the extremely overrated ROY, I'm gonna say around the time Like A Prayer was released as a single is when she officially hit legend status....that video kind of cemented it and the 80's had been huge for her! Oh and I can't at the Bedtime Stories (her best album) shade in the op, Take A Bow from that album was huge for her and has become a Madonna classic and Secret was also a big single as well......not to mention Human Nature  which wasn't commercially successful but has become one of her iconic videos/songs!

On 9/25/2017 at 4:45 PM, Pedro Dantas said:

Yes she was a legend way before Hard Candy. Probably around Blond Ambition.