We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

DignifiedLove

The 2000s Belonged to Britney as the 2010s Belong to...?

5 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

Mojo's List is solely based on who was most iconic, which I agree with for the most part. My list is based on overall impact, album sales, tour, trends, etc. 

Well that's almost the same as being iconic aka sales and popularity. Not to take anything away from Gaga because she did make an impact. But she became big only in 2009, that's just one year of the 2000s. Just Dance was a sleeper hit that only started to climb the charts at the end of 2008. She was even an opening act for the Pussycat Dolls (who in turn opened for Britney). I guess that says a lot too in regards to her relevance. Even Britney was deemed the second Madonna during her debut in 1998 but that wasn't enough to say she's bigger than Mariah, Whitney, Celine, or Janet in the 1990s.

9 minutes ago, Itachi said:

Well that's almost the same as being iconic aka sales and popularity. Not to take anything away from Gaga because she did make an impact. But she became big only in 2009, that's just one year of the 2000s. Just Dance was a sleeper hit that only started to climb the charts at the end of 2008. She was even an opening act for the Pussycat Dolls (who in turn opened for Britney). I guess that says a lot too in regards to her relevance. Even Britney was deemed the second Madonna during her debut in 1998 but that wasn't enough to say she's bigger than Mariah, Whitney, Celine, or Janet in the 1990s.

So are you saying I should place Gaga below RIh, Bey,  Shak, Madge, X, and J.Lo? :mattafact:

36 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

So are you saying I should place Gaga below RIh, Bey,  Shak, Madge, X, and J.Lo? :mattafact:

Kinda yes if you're going at it objectively. :quirkney: If you extend the list to 20, she definitely has a spot there higher than Jessica Simpson, Michelle Branch, and Vanessa Carlton (who are they :shadelaugh:)

The Pop world is pure boredom right now.

Not a single true iconic act like Britney used to be, not a single video with full outstanding choreography like Michael used to do (Beyoncé videos doesn't count cause she can't even outdance Janet in her 50's), not a single artist as brave as Madonna, not a single rockstar as singular as Bowie and no one with big balls to show their butt on TV like Prince on a music award performance. I'm not even gonna start with true vocalists and Divas cause Whitney could come out of her grave to slap everyone in the face. That threatical feeling is long gone and true performers (outside Madonna on her tours) are not feeding the public with what they used to. The artist who first do something to bring this back will find success and I used to believe this could be Britney but well....

Not generalizing but being sincere, what we have now are supermarket rappers, boys with guitars and just that, girls who think they are the sh!t when they are just sh!t, and already falling superstars within 8 years in the business. So it's hard to find someone who rules the 10"s but I guess Rihanna in terms of singles sales and Adele in terms of album sales (everyone and their grandmas listens to her and I dont blame them she's amazing).

Cultural impact today is nonexistent :janet:

9 minutes ago, Itachi said:

Kinda yes if you're going at it objectively. :quirkney: If you extend the list to 20, she definitely has a spot there higher than Jessica Simpson, Michelle Branch, and Vanessa Carlton (who are they :shadelaugh:)

Don't you dare throw Godchelle Branch under the bus like that. I love ha  :arianabye:

21 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

Don't you dare throw Godchelle Branch under the bus like that. I love ha  :arianabye:

Kidding. I love her too. One of These Days, Breathe, All You Wanted and The Game of Love are in my playlist. :gobaby:

4 minutes ago, Itachi said:

Kidding. I love her too. One of These Days, Breathe, All You Wanted and The Game of Love are in my playlist. :gobaby:

Girl listen to "Here With Me" on her debut. Such an underrated album track. :otears:

I'll never forget where I was when I first heard "Are You Happy Now". That song literally got me into music. I was obsessed. "Everywhere" was my jam too. The nostalgia.  :otears:

15 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

Girl listen to "Here With Me" on her debut. Such an underrated album track. :otears:

I'll never forget where I was when I first heard "Are You Happy Now". That song literally got me into music. I was obsessed. "Everywhere" was my jam too. The nostalgia.  :otears:

I will. I was rooting for her over Avril and Vanessa when they all came out. But she chose to start a family, form a band and went lowkey for a couple years. At least she has a grammy though :tiffanynod: something Katy and Nicki wish to have

it's not the same post 2009 with widespread piracy, leaks, and the rise of social media platforms like youtube, soundcloud, twitter, snapchat, insta, etc.  There's no mystery anymore.  There's no surprises.  The most you can surprise someone with is dropping an album, which is cool but nothing like before.  With every star having a massive social media presence everyone's life is an open book and we see that they are boring bland people just like us.   They no longer have that STAR mystique. :lemmetellu: 

The whole idea of merch has sort of died too, there's no ariana grande backpacks, or pencils, or dolls like britney had.   Not everyone is trying to copy beiber's look like they were with madonna back in 83/84.  There's no more camping outside tower records with other stans hours early just so you can get your hand on that new album.  I think most people forget the 2001 VMA performance was A SURPRISE, it didn't leak out that britney was performing until the day of, and even then no one knew what the song was gonna be. :yaknow: 

She debuted slave on that stage.   Nowadays artists just cant do sh!t like that.  So no one ever came close the the Britney/MJ/Madonna/Beatles/Elvis type of peak, since britney tbh.  There was no Gagamania like there was with britney, but of the artists who did well during the 2010's Gaga came the closest to matching britney, but was still far behind.  Gaga debuted JUST in time to make it into the last days of the physical sales, iconic status era.  :angietea:  Like I said in a different thread, artist's today just try to be edgy and push the envelope but the problem is nothing is edgy anymore.  Miley could perform completely naked and literally no one would be shocked.  Katy could piss on a statue of jesus and no one would be shocked.  The whole trying to be edgy just for the sake of being edgy thing died out ages ago.  We need TALENT back in the music industry, bring back dancing,  big production, anthemic songs, and wild props.   Britney had a fucking lion on stage FFS, nowadays what do the pop girls/guys bring?  There's not even any INCREDIBLE voices out there anymore like whitney/mariah/celine.  Ariana is literally just mariah lite so don't even try it. :NYsassy:   It's so depressing and boring :boredashell:  

This list makes me cringe

Here's another one more legitimate:

1. Britney Spears

2. Xtinta

3. Rihanna

4. P!nk

5. Shakira

6. Beyoncé

7. Avril Lavigne

8. JLo

9. Mariah Carey

10. Madonna

IN THE 10s:

1. Adele

2. Taylor Swift

3. Rihanna

4. Lady Gaga

5. Katy Perry

6. Ariana Grande

7. Miley Cyrus

8. Beyoncé

9. Nicki Minaj

10. Ke$ha 

13 minutes ago, Miguel Alencar said:

This list makes me cringe

Here's another one more legitimate:

1. Britney Spears

2. Xtinta

3. Rihanna

4. P!nk

5. Shakira

6. Beyoncé

7. Avril Lavigne

8. JLo

9. Mariah Carey

10. Madonna

IN THE 10s:

1. Adele

2. Taylor Swift

3. Rihanna

4. Lady Gaga

5. Katy Perry

6. Ariana Grande

7. Miley Cyrus

8. Beyoncé

9. Nicki Minaj

10. Ke$ha 

Most cringeworthy post I've seen all day.

P!nk over Shak, Bey, Avril, JLo, Madge, and Mariah? :shadelaugh::hahaha:

Adele at #1 while Beyonce sits at #8 before Miley, Ariana, Katy, Gaga, etc. when she's clearly been at the top of her game for over a decade? :ricackle:

Looks like you're basing off a lot of your list on album sales which is great sweetie, but that isn't the point I'm trying to make. 

At least you tried. :umwtf:

1 minute ago, DignifiedLove said:

Most cringeworthy post I've seen all day.

P!nk over Shak, Bey, Avril, JLo, Madge, and Mariah? :shadelaugh:

Adele at #1 while Beyonce sits at #8 before Miley, Ariana, Katy, Gaga, etc. when she's clearly been at the top of her game for over a decade? :ricackle:

Looks like you're basing off a lot of your list on album sales which is great sweetie, but that isn't the point of my list. :hahaha:

Well, at least you tried. :umwtf:

Not only album, but singles, internationality and acknowledge of the GP.

Beyoncé is extremelly mediocre success-wise, she has NO albums over 10kk and at least 80% of her sales comes from the US, she's just another ghetto local artist of the US, and she only made my 00s list because her Sasha Fierce era was quite sucessful generally speaking.

23 minutes ago, Miguel Alencar said:

Beyoncé is USA only, you ppl are delusional.

And the US is the largest consumer market. Go figure. :umwtf:

Beyonce and RIhanna are the premier example of a successful pop force in the 2010's. Love or hate them, they are inescapable. 

Madonna and Mariah barely had any success in the 00s at all.

Shakira is pretty much a OHW (Hips Don't Lie)

JLo is a  more mediocre version of Beyoncé

And wtf is Avril? Her hype barely lasted the first half of the 00s and  Girlfriend was the last nail to her coffin

P!nk had more success album, single and tour wise in the 00s than any of the singers you mentioned.

4 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

And the US is the largest consumer market. Go figuire. :umwtf:

Beyonce and RIhanna are the premier example of a successful pop force in the 2010's. Love or hate them, they are inescapable. 

Adele and Taylor sh!t on them

1 minute ago, Miguel Alencar said:

Not only album, but singles, internationality and acknowledge of the GP.

Beyoncé is extremelly mediocre success-wise, she has NO albums over 10kk and at least 80% of her sales comes from the US, she's just another ghetto local artist of the US, and she only made my 00s list because her Sasha Fierce era was quite sucessful generally speaking.

Here comes the tired drag the Britney army loves to recycle.

Beyonce has the second and fourth highest grossing tour for a female artist this decade, had the best selling album for a female in 2016 with "Lemonade", had the fastest selling album with self-titled, and has become a force in the biggest consumer market of the world.  

This is literally coming from a non-Beyonce stan but goodness, where's the Beyhive when you need em. :ricackle: