We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

DignifiedLove

The 2000s Belonged to Britney as the 2010s Belong to...?

3 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

We Found Love gets 68k more views.

Umbrella gets 30k more.

Really? I always felt like Single Ladies was the bigger hit. 

5 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

The MDNA Tour in 2012 is the second highest grossing female tour of all time... behind Sticky and Sweet in 2008.

That's because she's like the biggest female artist ever but she hasn't really impacted the 2010s. 

10 minutes ago, ShowdownITZ said:

Why did you put Madonna in the notable mentions for 2010s? She done nothing except the SB :calculating:

I beg to differ. Two sold out tours, highest grossing tour for a female artist this decade, had massive success with "MDNA" which was her biggest-first week sales since "Music", a Superbowl, and she's Madonna not everybody has that to their credit. :mattafact:

The least I could have done was include her as an honorable mention this decade. :mattafact:

1 minute ago, ShowdownITZ said:

That's because she's like the biggest female artist ever but she hasn't really impacted the 2010s. 

Being 4 decades into your career and setting another touring record while outselling every other current girls tour? That's impact. :saycheese:

Just now, DignifiedLove said:

I beg to differ. Two sold out tours, highest grossing tour for a female artist this decade, had massive success with "MDNA" which was her biggest-first week sales since "Music", a Superbowl, and she's Madonna not everybody has that to their credit. :mattafact:

Didn't she bundle MDNA with her tour? :outwithit: I get it but the newer generation doesn't really care that much for Madonna anymore, to me she's not a notable name for the 10's

mmm I don't know what you consider for "belonged to", is it about pure sales, or views, or longevity, like how much people remembers certain artist or song, or just how big they were back then, even though nobody remembers nowadays, or if you're talking just about the US or globally, I think there's gonna be a lot of different points of view.

I always hear Lady Gaga as being super big in the 00's, when she barely did something before the end of the decade. It's like when people say Britney is the queen of the 90's, when she only released BOMT in 1998, and we could say in general her impact was in 1999. That doesn't make her the queen of that decade.

I agree with you she owned the 2000's, even though very few people acknowledge that, because since 2000 with Oops, she kept releasing hit after hit, iconic moment after iconic moment, her image and sound evolved, and even til 2009 with 3 she kept being constant with her presence in pop music and music in general.

I wouldn't put Lady Gaga above Madonna, Shakira, Beyoncé, Rihanna, Christina Aguilera, Jennifer Lopez, Pink, not even Avril Lavigne. If any I would put her next to Jessica Simpson, Hilary Duff and Katy Perry.

Now talking about the 2010's, we could say that currently Taylor Swift is winning the game, but at the beginning of the decade things were very different. Beyoncé was on top at a certain point. Katy Perry and Rihanna were once seen as the biggest pop acts. They tried to make Selena and Demi happen too. I don't see any artist that has been constant from 2010 till 2017 with the same level of impact, and since I don't follow anyone else besides Britney, I really don't have the facts to compare their careers and say, well, she sold more than the others, or she was more popular, or she was more influential than the others, etc.

Just now, BoyToySoldier said:

Being 4 decades into your career and setting another touring record while outselling every other current girls tour? That's impact. :saycheese:

You're right, I really wish that was Britney when she's older but it won't :crying1:

5 minutes ago, ShowdownITZ said:

Didn't she bundle MDNA with her tour? :outwithit:  I get it but the newer generation doesn't really care that much for Madonna anymore, to me she's not a notable name for the 10's

To be fair, she hasn't had much success towards the latter of this decade so far but just because this trash "newer generation" doesn't care does NOT mean she hasn't had an impact hence why I listed her under "honorable mentions".:outwithit:

Sis, I know what I'm doing when I put together these lists. :mattafact:

Taylor Swift for the 2010s because I don't think I ever answered the OP's question. LWYMD proves it, people are still talking about the song and video. I don't remember the last time an era was this talked about since Purpose or Bangerz. :mattafact: she's starting to make me a fan.

2010s should belong to either Rihanna, Adele, or Taylor Swifr. They had the consistency. If Katy Perry didn't flop this era she could be a contender too. Beyonce started this decade weak - 4 wasn't much of a factor in 2011.

i can't with you putting Gaga at #2 in 2000s list though. If anything I would agree with Ms Mojo's list:

1. Britney Spears

2. Beyonce

3. Jennifer Lopez

4. Christina Aguilera

5. Shakira

6. Alicia Keys

7. Missy Elliott

8. Pink

9. Avril Lavigne

10. Kelly Clarkson

Honorable: Nelly Furtado, Amy Winehouse, Lily Allen, Natasha Bedingfield :dorkney:

Britney doesn't stand a chance this decade with all the hardworking girls around her.

22 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

mmm I don't know what you consider for "belonged to", is it about pure sales, or views, or longevity, like how much people remembers certain artist or song, or just how big they were back then, even though nobody remembers nowadays, or if you're talking just about the US or globally, I think there's gonna be a lot of different points of view.

I always hear Lady Gaga as being super big in the 00's, when she barely did something before the end of the decade. It's like when people say Britney is the queen of the 90's, when she only released BOMT in 1998, and we could say in general her impact was in 1999. That doesn't make her the queen of that decade.

I agree with you she owned the 2000's, even though very few people acknowledge that, because since 2000 with Oops, she kept releasing hit after hit, iconic moment after iconic moment, her image and sound evolved, and even til 2009 with 3 she kept being constant with her presence in pop music and music in general.

I wouldn't put Lady Gaga above Madonna, Shakira, Beyoncé, Rihanna, Christina Aguilera, Jennifer Lopez, Pink, not even Avril Lavigne. If any I would put her next to Jessica Simpson, Hilary Duff and Katy Perry.

Now talking about the 2010's, we could say that currently Taylor Swift is winning the game, but at the beginning of the decade things were very different. Beyoncé was on top at a certain point. Katy Perry and Rihanna were once seen as the biggest pop acts. They tried to make Selena and Demi happen too. I don't see any artist that has been constant from 2010 till 2017 with the same level of impact, and since I don't follow anyone else besides Britney, I really don't have the facts to compare their careers and say, well, she sold more than the others, or she was more popular, or she was more influential than the others, etc.

You're definitely underestimating the impact Lady Gaga had towards the latter part of the decade. Not even two years into her debut album and the media was labeling her as "New Queen of Pop" and comparing her status to that of Madonna.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/lady-Gaga-how-the-world-went-crazy-for-the-new-queen-of-pop-1684375.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/27/fashion/27Gaga.html?mcubz=3

She also had the third best-selling album by a female artist that year and broke the record for biggest tour opening for a debut artist. I'm always open to constructive criticism and am willing to reconsider my list but as of now, I think it's fair game that Gaga stays at #2 for the 2000's, and this is coming from someone who prefers almost all of those female artists over Gaga. 

In Time magazine's "most influential people of the past decade" issue in 2013, Lady Gaga came in 2nd place overall (i.e., not just entertainment), placing above individuals such as President Obama, J.K. Rowling, and Mark Zuckerberg. She came second only to Aung San Suu Kyi, aka one of the leading political icons of all time. I know a lot of people here hate Gaga, but it's kind of indisputable. 

ETA: Additional Gaga records include:

• First and only artist to have two 7-million selling downloads 
  • 2017 Super Bowl was most-watched musical performance in history across all platforms (per NFL)
  • First female recipient of RIAA's Digital Diamond Award
  • Named the "Queen of Pop" by Rolling Stone in 2011
  • 2009 Billboard Rising Star of the Year
  • 2010 Billboard Artist of the Year
  • 2015 Billboard Woman of the Year
  • Highest grossing concert tour ever for a debut headlining artist with The Monster Ball Tour.
  • In 2015, received first-ever Contemporary Icon Award by the Songwriters Hall of Fame
  • In 2011, won the Style Icon Award by the Council of Fashion Designers of America
  • Rolling Stone voted "Born This Way" as #11 among the 50 Greatest Female Albums of All Time
  • In 2015, recipient of Young Artist Award by the National Artists Awards
  • In 2016, recipient of the Grammy Museum's Jane Ortner Artist Award 
  • "The Fame" ranked as one of the 100 Best Debut Albums of All Time by Rolling Stone
  • 13 VMA Awards (3rd most wins overall following Beyonce and Madonna)
  • 2nd Most VMA Wins in a Single Night (8; tied with Beyonce's 2016 wins)
  • In 2016, Gaga made history as the writer and producer of the first song ever to receive Emmy, Oscar, and Grammy nominations all in the same awards year (for "'Til It Happens to You").
  • Current title holder of 12 Guinness World Records, including Most Downloaded Female Act In a Year, Most Cumulative Weeks on UK Singles Chart in One Year (150), and Most Weeks on US Hot Digital Songs chart (83).
  • Winner of 6 Grammys (17 nominations, with three being Album of the Year Nominations)
  • Winner of 1 Golden Globe (Best Actress In a Mini-Series)
  • Record 6 Emmy Nominations for Super Bowl Halftime Show

9 minutes ago, Itachi said:

2010s should belong to either Rihanna, Adele, or Taylor Swifr. They had the consistency. If Katy Perry didn't flop this era she could be a contender too. Beyonce started this decade weak - 4 wasn't much of a factor in 2011.

i can't with you putting Gaga at #2 in 2000s list though. If anything I would agree with Ms Mojo's list:

1. Britney Spears

2. Beyonce

3. Jennifer Lopez

4. Christina Aguilera

5. Shakira

6. Alicia Keys

7. Missy Elliott

8. Pink

9. Avril Lavigne

10. Kelly Clarkson

Honorable: Nelly Furtado, Amy Winehouse, Lily Allen, Natasha Bedingfield :dorkney:

Britney doesn't stand a chance this decade with all the hardworking girls around her.

Mojo's List is solely based on who was most iconic, which I agree with for the most part. My list is based on overall impact, album sales, tour, trends, etc. 

6 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

You're definitely underestimating the impact Lady Gaga had left towards the latter part of the decade. Not even two years into her debut album and the media was labeling her as "New Queen of Pop" and comparing her status to that of Madonna.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/lady-Gaga-how-the-world-went-crazy-for-the-new-queen-of-pop-1684375.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/27/fashion/27Gaga.html?mcubz=3

She also had the third best-selling album by a female artist that year and broke the record for biggest tour opening for a debut artist. I'm always open to constructive criticism and am willing to reconsider my list but as of now, I think it's fair game that Gaga stays at #2 for the 2000's, and this is coming from someone who prefers almost all of those female artists over Gaga. 

I don't underestimate what she achieved, and I do recognize that helped her for the next decade, I just think we can't deny what the other girls did either, for a longer period of time than Gaga. We'll never know how much influence she could've had if she came out earlier. Yeah, maybe no other girl from the 2000's was labeled as the new Madonna, precisely because Madonna was still around going strong, so that's one I would put above Gaga. Christina was seen as a true competition of Britney throughout the entire decade, even getting awards that Britney didn't, so how isn't she in the top places if Britney is at #1? She also made a huge impact in the Hispanic countries with just one album, whose singles still play nowadays on radio and TV. Shakira was a similar phenomenon, but inversely, making the crossover from Latin America to the English market. We're talking about artists that made it big internationally. What Lady Gaga did in the 2000's didn't explode until Bad Romance, which even though it was released in 2009, I think it wasn't until 2010 when it finally put her as star that was internationally recognized.