We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

DignifiedLove

The 2000s Belonged to Britney as the 2010s Belong to...?

Recommended Posts

We ALL know 2000's Female Pop belonged to:

1. Britney Spears

2. Beyoncé

3. Lady Gaga

4. Rihanna

5. Shakira

6. Madonna

7. Christina Aguilera

8. Jennifer Lopez

9. Avril Lavigne

10. Miley Cyrus

NOTABLE MENTION(S): Mariah Carey, Taylor Swift, P!nk

 

But what about the 2010's?

I would say:

1. Beyoncé

2. Rihanna

3. Taylor Swift

4. Lady Gaga

5. Miley Cyrus

6. Katy Perry

7. Ariana Grande

8. Selena Gomez

9. Adele

10. Nicki Minaj

NOTABLE MENTION(S): Shakira, Jennifer Lopez, Britney Spears/Madonna

 

 

And yes, this is Britney related since she's a main pop girl and that is what we're discussing. Feel free to post your opinions. :mcwave:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ShowdownITZ said:

Lady Gaga came on 2008 and only became a huge name in 09, #2 belongs to Xtina :mattafact:

 

I KNEW that would get some backlash/raised eyebrows and this is coming from someone who isn't a Gaga fan, but point is that Gaga DOMINATED 2009 and shook the industry the same way Britney dominated the last year of the 90's. :mattafact:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DignifiedLove said:

That's debatable. I say Beyoncê clearly dominates the 2010's (so far) but Rihanna is up there.

I'm debating on actual songs and Rih seems to have an advantage in remembered singles / bigger catalog.

But Beyonce does eat her when it comes to performances / albums.

I guess I'll have to agree that they're neck and neck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

I KNEW that would get some backlash/raised eyebrows and this is coming from someone who isn't a Gaga fan, but point is that Gaga DOMINATED 2009 and shook the industry the same way Britney dominated the last year of the 90's. :mattafact:

Still, she dominated it but it was just one year. That's like saying Britney was bigger than Celine Dion or Whitney Houston in the 90s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

I'm debating on actual songs and Rih seems to have an advantage in remembered singles / bigger catalog.

But Beyonce does eat her when it comes to performances / albums.

I guess I'll have to agree that they're neck and neck.

I heard Rihanna is more global than Beyonce but I think Beyonce is a bigger icon than her, Rihanna has iconic hits but she doesn't have a Single Ladies :mattafact:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adele, Taylor Swift, and Rihanna win. Adele is probably the biggest artist in the world right now by a long shot. Taylor has had 3 successful eras this decade (with a 4th one coming). Rihanna seamlessly transitioned into the streaming era, and is the biggest female artist on streaming. Beyoncé's singles aren't performing well enough, but she's still a massive force. Katy Perry had 2 huge eras this decade so she comes close as well. Gaga was only really hot from 2009-2011, and she's lost a lot of star power since then. Ariana has had 3 solid eras this decade so I would put her pretty far up. Miley only had Bangerz that smashed, her current era is underperforming. In my eyes Demi & Selena are around the same status.

Your top 10 for the 2000s is very questionable tbh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ShowdownITZ said:

Still, she dominated it but it was just one year. That's like saying Britney was bigger than Celine Dion or Whitney Houston in the 90s.

Some may argue that she was. :mattafact: BOMT and the entire BOMT era was a decade-defining moment. "Baby One More Time" shaped the music industry into what it would become. 

 

:51

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DignifiedLove said:

Some may argue that she was. :mattafact: BOMT and the entire BOMT era was a decade-defining moment. "Baby One More Time" shaped the music industry into what it would become. 

 

:51

 

You have a point but I can't say Gaga was bigger than Xtina. Both defined the decade but Xtina did it throughout most of the decade while Gaga did it for only 1 year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ShowdownITZ said:

I heard Rihanna is more global than Beyonce but I think Beyonce is a bigger icon than her, Rihanna has iconic hits but she doesn't have a Single Ladies :mattafact:

The Formation Tour did really well versus the ANTI Tour which kinda flopped.

And LOL. Diamonds alone on VEVO gets 500k streams daily, versus Single Ladies which gets 200k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BoyToySoldier said:

The Formation Tour did really well versus the ANTI Tour which kinda flopped.

And LOL. Diamonds alone on VEVO gets 500k streams daily, versus Single Ladies which gets 200k.

Diamonds is more current. Single Ladies has way more impact than any Rihanna song. Everyone knows the dance and the video. Rihanna doesn't have that with any song except maybe Umbrella 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Legend said:

Adele, Taylor Swift, and Rihanna win. Adele is probably the biggest artist in the world right now by a long shot. Taylor has had 3 successful eras this decade (with a 4th one coming). Rihanna seamlessly transitioned into the streaming era, and is the biggest female artist on streaming. Beyoncé's singles aren't performing well enough, but she's still a massive force. Katy Perry had 2 huge eras this decade so she comes close as well. Gaga was only really hot from 2009-2011, and she's lost a lot of star power since then. Ariana has had 3 solid eras this decade so I would put her pretty far up. Miley only had Bangerz that smashed, her current era is underperforming. In my eyes Demi & Selena are around the same status.

Your top 10 for the 2000s is very questionable tbh

 
 

It's not just about album sales but overall impact. I'm sorry but Beyonce, RIhanna, and Gaga blow Adele out of the water when it come to overall impact.

Norah Jones had the best-selling album for a female artist last decade yet left hardly of an impact and isn't even remembered today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ShowdownITZ said:

Diamonds is more current. Single Ladies has way more impact than any Rihanna song. Everyone knows the dance and the video. Rihanna doesn't have that with any song except maybe Umbrella 

We Found Love gets 68k more views.

Umbrella gets 30k more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.