We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Sign in to follow this  
rockNroLL227

traveling to china

hey guys! i'm going to be traveling to china in late october for work and i know internet content is restricted there - the great firewall, they call it. no facebook, instagram, snapchat, pretty much any social media, google, gmail, youtube, and other similar sites. i'm not usually the type of person to be constantly attached to my phone and live and die by social media, but the thought of being completely cut off for almost two weeks kind of makes me uneasy. i could survive without it, but obviously would prefer to access if i could. not constantly, but just checking in once in a while, maybe scrolling though before bed to check in on the world. I'm wondering if anyone here has traveled to china before and has some suggestions?

my research has shown that you can access blocked sites by using a VPN, but some VPNs are blocked. i have a VPN through work on my computer, but i just have no way of knowing if it's one of the blocked ones. there are some ones you can buy access to use, but i'd prefer not to if the one i have for free from work will work in china. i'm also not THAT tech savvy, so i'm really only going by what i'm reading online.

that also only takes care of my computer, not my phone. is there even such thing as a VPN for iOS? if i could only use one, i would rather it be on my computer, but if i could have both, that would be great.

i'd appreciate anyone's feedback/input/comments if you've traveled to china (or maybe even live there) and can help me. thanks!

On 9/14/2017 at 6:56 PM, rockNroLL227 said:

hey guys! i'm going to be traveling to china in late october for work and i know internet content is restricted there - the great firewall, they call it. no facebook, instagram, snapchat, pretty much any social media, google, gmail, youtube, and other similar sites. i'm not usually the type of person to be constantly attached to my phone and live and die by social media, but the thought of being completely cut off for almost two weeks kind of makes me uneasy. i could survive without it, but obviously would prefer to access if i could. not constantly, but just checking in once in a while, maybe scrolling though before bed to check in on the world. I'm wondering if anyone here has traveled to china before and has some suggestions?

my research has shown that you can access blocked sites by using a VPN, but some VPNs are blocked. i have a VPN through work on my computer, but i just have no way of knowing if it's one of the blocked ones. there are some ones you can buy access to use, but i'd prefer not to if the one i have for free from work will work in china. i'm also not THAT tech savvy, so i'm really only going by what i'm reading online.

that also only takes care of my computer, not my phone. is there even such thing as a VPN for iOS? if i could only use one, i would rather it be on my computer, but if i could have both, that would be great.

i'd appreciate anyone's feedback/input/comments if you've traveled to china (or maybe even live there) and can help me. thanks!

When I lived in China, my family used Express VPN. It was good and it worked on the computer. I think it works for a phone too. Where in China will you be? A really handy app to have in the city is called WeChat. It has many purposes and is something you should check out. Many young Chinese people use it. If you have any questions PM me, I'll be glad to help. :giggleney: