We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

breatheheavy

The Chainsmokers Made A Racist Joke About Asians On The Same Day They Announced Their Collaboration With BTS

Yikes.

The Chainsmokers are in hot water for a joke they made about Asians.

Probably not the best idea to make a comment insinuating Asians eat dogs while in Asia being interviewed by an Asian reporter on the same day that South Korean boy band BTS announced their collaboration with the EDM duo. But get that promo.

Over the weekend, The Chainsmokers were in Shanghai to perform at electronic music festival, Ultra China. Today (Sep. 11), the duo posted a promotional clip of their trip overseas, which included a failed joke made by Alex Pall. The reporter asks Pall if he would bring his dog with him on tour. Pall says he would if she behaved better, then drops the bomb: “Well I don’t know if I’d bring her to China.” Clearly, Pall was insinuating that Chinese people might eat his dog. The interviewer looked slightly mortified.

The comment sparked outrage on Twitter, so the guys apologized. “We would never intentionally do anything to upset our fans and we apologize if it offended anyone,” their statement reads. They backtrack in a classic PR move: “I made a comment in an interview about being hesitant to bring my dog, Cheddar, to China, because I have read reports about dogs being slaughtered in certain provinces.” Nice one.

It’s never OK to be racist, but the timing here is particularly awful. The Chainsmokers have a new collaboration with BTS on the way – it’s titled “Best Of Me” and will land on the group’s forthcoming album, Love Yourself: Her, which already has over 1 million pre-orders before it drops Sep. 18.

The cliff notes? The Chainsmokers said something stupid yet again but they apologized and they have a new song with BTS which will probably break the Internet and top the Hot 100.

Are YOU offended by Pall's joke? Are you excited about BTS' new collab with The Chainsmokers? Is anyone reading this? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

2 hours ago, rowelle said:

Found out that dogs are raised for slaughter in China from Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. Also in North Korea, it's the same thing; dogs are raised there to be eaten later. I also hear they eat dog in the Philippines.

It's not racist if it's true.

true. it is common in the provinces (including my province in northern Philippines) because it is said to be aphrodisiac. :gross: and there are certain rituals in central Philippines that would require the sacrifice/killing of a dog during burials. :gross: disgusting to be honest, some even eat cats. :gross::crying2:

that 1/2 of the bonehead smokers may have spoken the truth, but i think he did it in the wrong place and the wrong time. oh did i just say bonehead? cause that explains it all. :trash:

People should be more offended by how sh!t the joke was, not how racist it was considering it's actually true. :lemmetellu:

And don't even start with that: how can you eat dogs? Same thing as eating a cow or a pig, assuming cows and pigs are just as smart, which I'm pretty sure they are. :sipney:  

Not racist at all tbh, I've seen 1000000000 videos online of what some chinese provinces do to dogs. To make things even worse, psychologists discovered dogs and elephants are the only animals who feel emotions in the exact same way humans do, and in the chinese provinces where they do slaughter dogs they skin them alive, they wont even sedate them because they have a fucked up belief that dogs screaming brings out some special hormone in their body which makes their meat healthier and tastier. I dont blame him for saying that at all, theres a lot of psychos in china hiding behind the racist card while in fact they are just monsters, miss me tbh :lemmetellu: