We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

ShowdownITZ

Rihanna

Don't get me wrong I love Rihanna and I have tons of her songs but I was just thinking recently, she sells so much and is so successful but I feel like nothing she does is impactful :outwithit: yes she has huge hits like Umbrella and WFL but she doesn't have a video or a song that has impact or something innovative. She also doesn't have a memorable performance. Am I the only one who feels this way?

I agree, there's nothing iconic about her tbh, with all of her hits and what not We Found Love is really her only iconic song and she has zero iconic videos/performances! I used to love Rihanna like 10 years ago, but I've since handed in my fan card.....her more recent albums have done nothing for me and her attitude turns me off! Katy Perry is the exact same way tbh, all these #1's but yet not a single memorable song/thing! Also for as popular as Beyonce is, she has very few iconic moments as well......Single Ladies is really her most iconic song and video and could argue that Irreplaceable is iconic solely for the "to the left line"  but other than than that she has no iconic video's or performances.........actually same goes for Taylor too.....nothing iconic at all! 

See the thing is success does not equal influence/iconic-ness.....for example OIDIA and Toxic weren't #1's hell they barely made the top 10 but they are two of the most iconic videos/songs of the past couple decades! 

On 9.9.2017 at 8:54 AM, ShowdownITZ said:

Don't get me wrong I love Rihanna and I have tons of her songs but I was just thinking recently, she sells so much and is so successful but I feel like nothing she does is impactful :outwithit: yes she has huge hits like Umbrella and WFL but she doesn't have a video or a song that has impact or something innovative. She also doesn't have a memorable performance. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Name one iconic Rihanna performance, i don't know one tbh, she has hits, the look, a unique voice, but that is basically it. No real artistry.

Hits like Umbrella, We Found Love are classics in the future, but because they are good, not because Rihanna is in it.

So you are right :outwithit:

Umbrella video is iconic and memorable , unfaithful, Work also , We found love , S&M those are pop iconic videos , yeah her performances are not the most memorable , live tours is basically her weak side maybe because she's not a professional dancer and not the best vocalist either, but I loved her 2007 manchaster concert I think she was at her best there , and basically Rihanna is iconic enough by her image , her beauty , her name , she's a Legend she is the good girl coming from an exotic island and becoming international badass superstar .:cigney:

16 hours ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Y'all are delusional if you don't think Umbrella is iconic. Not to mention Diamonds and We Found Love are modern classics. Stop.

6 minutes ago, Pedro Dantas said:

The fact that so many hit songs nowadays are Rihjects shows how iconic she is. :mattafact:

I am not saying her music isn't iconic, I am saying her career. She doesn't really have any iconic career moments. It's just really her hits. I love Rih but I have just been thinking that she's doesn't really have that much impact :mattafact:

2 minutes ago, ShowdownITZ said:

I am not saying her music isn't iconic, I am saying her career. She doesn't really have any iconic career moments. It's just really her hits. I love Rih but I have just been thinking that she's doesn't really have that much impact :mattafact:

https://pitchfork.com/features/overtones/10052-is-rihanna-the-most-influential-pop-singer-of-the-past-decade/

She's the most influential popstar of the 2010's. Remember how everyone coming up in the 2010's had a Britney vibe to them, from their voices to the dancing, etc.? Everyone in the new generation coming up is taking influence from Rih.

1 minute ago, BoyToySoldier said:

https://pitchfork.com/features/overtones/10052-is-rihanna-the-most-influential-pop-singer-of-the-past-decade/

She's the most influential popstar of the 2010's. Remember how everyone coming up in the 2010's had a Britney vibe to them, from their voices to the dancing, etc.? Everyone in the new generation coming up is taking influence from Rih.

True, but I just feel like she always overshadowed by Beyoncé and Taylor.

Honestly, I don't consider We Found Love to be that memorable... And that damn electro build up during the chorus, ugh sorry not my cup of tea. 

I'd say S&M was kinda iconic. it was a monster hit song (solo version, that is:meltdown:). I know what you mean about career moments though. She's impactful as far as the industry goes, but not pop culture as much. I don't consider her to be 'legend status' by any means...

Y'all can say what you want, and I'll agree that she doesn't have a lot of memorable or iconic performances without hesitation-- but a lot of people still remember this:

Specifically at 3:19 to 3:44.

"That's not performing": I hear you, but the GP doesn't care. I don't, either. She's got hits, she sings half live and allows playback to take over when she's dancing, and she can stomp a motherfucking runway.

You're also leaving out Fenty Beauty and everything non-musical she does.

Rihanna's not going anywhere, signs that she is in fact innovative can be heard in mainstream music and it following her lead all the time, and her career as a whole and the moves she makes are what cement(s) her status. :mattafact:

12 hours ago, fucknfurter said:

Y'all can say what you want, and I'll agree that she doesn't have a lot of memorable or iconic performances without hesitation-- but a lot of people still remember this:

"That's not performing": I hear you, but the GP doesn't care. I don't, either. She's got hits, she sings half live and allows playback to take over when she's dancing, and she can stomp a motherfucking runway.

Rihanna's not going anywhere, signs that she is in fact innovative can be heard in mainstream music and it following her lead all the time, and her career as a whole and the moves she makes are what cement(s) her status. :mattafact:

OMG this is one of my favorite songs and my favorite of her performances. She looked better than the models and that walk had everyone SHOOK.

1 hour ago, BoyToySoldier said:

OMG this is one of my favorite songs and my favorite of her performances. She looked better than the models and that walk had everyone SHOOK.

Right? I still see people posting the walk on other sites and discussing it. (And same; it was actually one of the best VSFS's because of RiRi.)

On 14.9.2017 at 8:20 AM, fucknfurter said:

At 0:53 it is not even her voice anymore, it is Ester Dean, she pulled a Myah Marie before Britney did. :mattafact:

Just now, Alexanda said:

At 0:53 it is not even her voice anymore, it is Ester Dean, she pulled a Myah Marie before Britney did. :mattafact:

Still doesn't change most of what I said, though. And given that Britney still has me as a fan after BJ, I'm not gonna go throwing stones at Rihanna. :riri:

2 minutes ago, fucknfurter said:

Still doesn't change most of what I said, though. And given that Britney still has me as a fan after BJ, I'm not gonna go throwing stones at Rihanna. :riri:

Yeah, but back to the topic i think releasing every year a new album didn't help her to become an icon. Maybe that is why we have to wait much longer now. :mattafact: