We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

iZacaree

I just saw the new IT movie!

I just saw the new IT movie and... oh my God. IT WAS AMAZING! You won't be disappointed, especially if you're a horror fan.

Just keep in mind, this movie is NOT a remake of the 1990 mini-series. It's a brand new adaptation of the original novel by Stephen King!

And just an FYI, if you're familiar with IT, this movie is basically the first half of the novel - it takes place during the late 1980's while the "Loser's Club" are all still kids. The sequel should be the second half of the story, when they're all adults.

Because this new movie is an actual film, instead of a made-for-tv mini-series, they were able to go much darker. The movie is rated R, so they were really able to bring much more of the novel to life with this one. Without giving much away, the opening scene with Georgie meeting Pennywise in the storm drain is very intense and gruesome - just like in the novel. Honestly, I'd say "intense" is the word that best describes this film. Very intense, disturbing, and scary.

Although I've always enjoyed Tim Curry's version of Pennywise, and I always will, this new Pennywise is much more intense and far more disturbing. I think this Pennywise is much closer to what Stephen King describes in the book. The acting was out of this world! Bill Skarsgard has done an EXCELLENT job with this role - it kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time!

Overall, this film far exceeded my expectations. It was everything I had hoped it would be and much, much more! Even the light-hearted and funny moments in the movie never feel out of place. The storytelling was so good that you really feel connected to these characters, and it left me wanting more. Oh and (SPOILER ALERT), the film ends with Pennywise's creepy laugh and a screen that says "IT: Chapter 1", alluding to a sequel. 

Has anyone seen it yet? What were your thoughts?

I just saw it yesterday! It was a great film & I totally agree the Georgie scene at the beginning was really disturbing! The scene with Bev & her dad made me really uncomfortable so major props to both actors

If i'm being completely honest the losers club made the film. The acting was really impressive and they had me laughing so much.

I thought Bill did a great job with Pennywise but I felt like he didn't have enough dialogue/scenes. Hopefully they improve that aspect with the sequel.

The one thing I LOVED about the film is it wasn't a typical jumpscare horror. In fact I jumped once the entire movie. They used atmosphere, sound & visual effects to provoke fear/uncertainty rather than relying on typical horror formula.

Defintely excited for the sequel & i'm glad Bill has agreed to it after saying he was unsure.

I would put the spoilers in a spoilers box btw lol

14 hours ago, reecejwilson said:

I'm seeing it next week!

It has great reviews, I love Stephen King and i'm a huge fan of his books, Carrie is my personal favourite! 

I remember watching the older movie as a child and being scared to death! :flawlessbye:

The older movie was great! I know you will probably do it anyway, but it's best not to compare the old one to this one. They are two very different beasts. The old movie was set in a different time period (1963 for the kids part and 1990 for the adults), and this movie is set in 1989 (the sequel will be set in the modern day when the kids have all grown up and Pennywise returns). Also, this Pennywise is very different from Tim Curry's version. This director focused on the "creature" aspect of IT - which is what Stephen King did in the novel. The old movie certainly touches on that, but this movie goes even deeper. They really try to show the inhuman aspect of this Pennywise, and I thought that was a nice touch. Throughout the whole movie it's almost as if the creature behind the Pennywise form is struggling to maintain the illusion of being Pennywise because of it's voracious appetite for children (lots of drooling).

19 hours ago, Shadow. said:

I just saw it yesterday! It was a great film & I totally agree the Georgie scene at the beginning was really disturbing! The scene with Bev & her dad made me really uncomfortable so major props to both actors

If i'm being completely honest the losers club made the film. The acting was really impressive and they had me laughing so much.

I thought Bill did a great job with Pennywise but I felt like he didn't have enough dialogue/scenes. Hopefully they improve that aspect with the sequel.

The one thing I LOVED about the film is it wasn't a typical jumpscare horror. In fact I jumped once the entire movie. They used atmosphere, sound & visual effects to provoke fear/uncertainty rather than relying on typical horror formula.

Defintely excited for the sequel & i'm glad Bill has agreed to it after saying he was unsure.

I would put the spoilers in a spoilers box btw lol

I totally agree with you! Honestly, I'm glad they didn't just do a "remake" of the old movie. It was nice seeing this story through a fresh new perspective. It really made you look at the character of IT in a whole new way. You really see it as more of a monster in this film.

Thanks to ths movie i am still afraid of Clowns but yet the movie is awesome! Stephen is the god of horror novels! His plots are amazing and the way that the characters flow in every story are always incredible! IT and The Green Mile are his bests imo :mhm:

Also i can't wait to watch the brand new adaptation as well! :clap1:

The bad CGI ruined some of the scenes and tbh, Tim Curry still is Pennywise. This version felt rather faceless and existed only to scare whereas Pennywise enjoyed torturing his prey before killing them. Bev was never kidnapped nor needed saving so I hated that they did and also changed the relationship with her father in this film. In the book, he was a drunk. I felt this movie changed a lot of plot points that will carry on into the second one especially where Bev goes visits her father which is a creepy scene.

Didn't like they rendered Mike's character, it's him who does the research on Derry and the one who calls them when Pennywise awakens since he never left. The time jump wasn't needed aside from some plot points with the New Kids on the Block references.

His scary forms weren't too impressive minus the Leper which was creepy in the novel itself.

It's decent, a fun movie but I still feel the mini series stayed truer with less of a budget and resources than the newer film.

I loved it! 

I love both of the versions of Pennywise. 

Honestly both movies followed the book in different ways. The original movie followed the switch from adult to kid memories like the book. It's refreshing to see them just focus on the kids life though.

All three things are different though so it's fresh to go through reading the book to seeing the different movies. 

Like the person about me said the only negative thing I can say is the cgi/ animations weren't needed in the Pennywise scenes but other than that it was flawless. 

15 hours ago, reecejwilson said:

This is an AMAZING idea, is it gonna happen?? :brit::brit::brit:

Yes! The sequel has already been green-lit (actually, it's not really as much of a sequel as it is really just the second half of the story from the novel, which focuses on the adults, 27 years later) and Bill Skarsgard has confirmed that he is interested in reprising the role. Filming should begin in 2018.

9 hours ago, If I'm Dancing said:

Thanks to ths movie i am still afraid of Clowns but yet the movie is awesome! Stephen is the god of horror novels! His plots are amazing and the way that the characters flow in every story are always incredible! IT and The Green Mile are his bests imo :mhm:

Also i can't wait to watch the brand new adaptation as well! :clap1:

So, you haven't watched the new one yet? :lostney:

Girl, go buy your tickets now!

8 hours ago, Dollanganger said:

The bad CGI ruined some of the scenes and tbh, Tim Curry still is Pennywise. This version felt rather faceless and existed only to scare whereas Pennywise enjoyed torturing his prey before killing them. Bev was never kidnapped nor needed saving so I hated that they did and also changed the relationship with her father in this film. In the book, he was a drunk. I felt this movie changed a lot of plot points that will carry on into the second one especially where Bev goes visits her father which is a creepy scene.

Didn't like they rendered Mike's character, it's him who does the research on Derry and the one who calls them when Pennywise awakens since he never left. The time jump wasn't needed aside from some plot points with the New Kids on the Block references.

His scary forms weren't too impressive minus the Leper which was creepy in the novel itself.

It's decent, a fun movie but I still feel the mini series stayed truer with less of a budget and resources than the newer film.

I hear you.

I was disappointed with how this movie handled Mike's character, as well. I felt like they kind of failed his character and let it slip into the background. In both the novel and the miniseries, Mike experiences a lot of brutal racism (mostly because the childhood timeline takes place in the late 50's/early 60's during the height of the Civil Rights movement and lots of racial tension in America), but I still feel like they should've included that in this movie just so the audience could relate to him better. It kind of made me feel like they were too scared to approach the whole subject, so they just kind of vaguely alluded to it. Also, I totally agree with you - I didn't appreciate how they gave the historian role to Ben.

Regarding Pennywise, I actually enjoyed how they made this Pennywise seem like more of a monster/creature, instead of just a guy in a clown suit. That's what the novel did - it made a point of showing that this creature is not human. It's a child-eating predator from another dimension. Don't get me wrong, I love Tim Curry's version of Pennywise, and I think that version was an entirely different vision that was equally as creepy and unnerving. Tim Curry was much more subtle in his approach and used the "what you imagine in your mind is scarier than what you see on screen" approach. I appreciate the direction they took for this Pennywise, though - it's certainly much more brutal.

I think they could've done a better job showing the abusive relationship between Bev and her dad - it seemed a bit rushed, as did the Henry Bowers subplot.

Overall, I think there were a few kinks that needs to be worked out, but the movie was still great!

13 hours ago, iZacaree said:

I hear you.

I was disappointed with how this movie handled Mike's character, as well. I felt like they kind of failed his character and let it slip into the background. In both the novel and the miniseries, Mike experiences a lot of brutal racism (mostly because the childhood timeline takes place in the late 50's/early 60's during the height of the Civil Rights movement and lots of racial tension in America), but I still feel like they should've included that in this movie just so the audience could relate to him better. It kind of made me feel like they were too scared to approach the whole subject, so they just kind of vaguely alluded to it. Also, I totally agree with you - I didn't appreciate how they gave the historian role to Ben.

Regarding Pennywise, I actually enjoyed how they made this Pennywise seem like more of a monster/creature, instead of just a guy in a clown suit. That's what the novel did - it made a point of showing that this creature is not human. It's a child-eating predator from another dimension. Don't get me wrong, I love Tim Curry's version of Pennywise, and I think that version was an entirely different vision that was equally as creepy and unnerving. Tim Curry was much more subtle in his approach and used the "what you imagine in your mind is scarier than what you see on screen" approach. I appreciate the direction they took for this Pennywise, though - it's certainly much more brutal.

I think they could've done a better job showing the abusive relationship between Bev and her dad - it seemed a bit rushed, as did the Henry Bowers subplot.

Overall, I think there were a few kinks that needs to be worked out, but the movie was still great!

Thank you!

I posted this on other sites and my personal social media and got insulted. I'm guessing no one is allowed to state the flaws with this movie especially with what you posted!

Saw this yesterday, did not really have a fear of clowns until after that movie. Very well done, the scares were almost perfectly timed. I also like (how others stated) that Pennywise is a evil creature and not a demented clown. It made it feel grittier than the original and appreciate it!

15 hours ago, iZacaree said:

I hear you.

I agree with the Mike part. They just threw him in at the end. In the book Mike is basically the narrator he deserves to be treated better than that tbh. 

On 2017.09.9. at 0:18 PM, Shadow. said:

Take notes horror movie directors. :flawlessbye:

Idk, I haven't seen it yet but the reviews so far have been good from what I've seen. I'm not a fan of the look of the new Pennywise, I just feel like clowns are scary because the fear of them should technically be irrational because they look fun 'n' cute, but when you look at the new one, it's not irrational anymore, it takes away a lot of charm the original one had. I'm sure that's just me though. :outwithit: I heard there was some deranged humor involved though so I'm kinda down, ISIS beheading videos are my jam, I'm a sicko, SIGN ME UP! :madonna: