We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Sign in to follow this  
Pedro Dantas

What's Rihanna's signature song?

What's Rihanna's signature song?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What's Rihanna's signature song?

• Umbrella ft. JAY Z
    • Rude Boy
    • Love the Way You Lie
    • Only Girl (In the World)
    • We Found Love
    • Diamonds
    • Work ft. Drake
    • Another

I’m going to say Work because it’s the most recent. Rihanna has and is constantly coming out with so many hits. No one seems to really play or talk about her old hits, so it’s pretty much whatever is her most recent, which is Work or Wild Thoughts (even tho it’s a DJ Khalid track)

20 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

Rihanna was made with Pon de Replay and SOS.

But Umbrella is what really solidified her as a solo artist and when she became a main pop girl. Her career was still very shaky until the GGGB era.

17 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

I’m going to say Work because it’s the most recent. Rihanna has and is constantly coming out with so many hits. No one seems to really play or talk about her old hits, so it’s pretty much whatever is her most recent, which is Work or Wild Thoughts (even tho it’s a DJ Khalid track)

Nobody plays her old hits? :tiffsmoke: Then where are these views coming from? :ririshade1:

• Love the Way You Lie: 638 394 daily views (in average)
  • Diamonds: 531 231
  • We Found Love: 272 117
  • Umbrella ft. JAY Z: 261 714
  • Only Girl (In the World): 240 900
  • Rude Boy: 131 645

LTWYL and Diamonds are both getting more daily views than Work (487 292), so they are obviously more remembered than Work, which was launched last year. Work is already forgotten. That is absolutely NOT her signature song. Wild Thoughts is just a quick lil' summer hit.

8 minutes ago, Pedro Dantas said:

But Umbrella is what really solidified her as a solo artist and when she became a main pop girl. Her career was still very shaky until the GGGB era.

Nobody plays her old hits? :tiffsmoke: Then where are these views coming from? :ririshade1:

• Love the Way You Lie: 638 394 daily views (in average)
  • Diamonds: 531 231
  • We Found Love: 272 117
  • Umbrella ft. JAY Z: 261 714
  • Only Girl (In the World): 240 900
  • Rude Boy: 131 645

LTWYL and Diamonds are both getting more daily views than Work (487 292), so they are obviously more remembered than Work, which was launched last year. Work is already forgotten. That is absolutely NOT her signature song. Wild Thoughts is just a quick lil' summer hit.

I’m not talking about her views on YouTube, I’m talking about in playing a club, radio, or when I’m with friends or if they're talked about. When do you ever hear any of those old Rihanna hits played in clubs, or talked about these days? Toxic (Britney’s signature song) still is played in clubs and on the radio, and is still talked about. Rihanna doesn’t really have that from what I’ve seen. I guess Umbrella is her most classic and memorable song, but I still don’t consider it her signature song. It doesn’t really fit the epitome of her personality and who I think of her as now. Ever since Rated R, she’s been seen as the cool bad bitch, whereas Umbrella still reminds me of her good girl days and I never hear it played anymore. We Found Love and Diamonds remind me more of her personality now, but they’re never talked about or played anywhere anymore. That’s why, to me, Work and Wild Thoughts, her newest hits, are the most signature Rihanna songs for me at the moment. They best represent the personality/persona Rihanna has to me, while being currently the most relevant. I’m sure whatever her next hits are will be more signature “Rihanna” for me as well. That’s why I’m saying, she doesn’t really have a signature song imo. Her signature song will always be the most recent because she’s constantly evolving, changing, and fitting into whatever is fresh, and her past hits are kinda forgotten about and replaced by her new hits since she’s always releasing new, fresh music.

2 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

I’m not talking about her views on YouTube, I’m talking about in playing a club, radio, or when I’m with friends or if they're talked about. When do you ever hear any of those old Rihanna hits played in clubs, or talked about these days? Toxic (Britney’s signature song) still is played in clubs and on the radio, and is still talked about. Rihanna doesn’t really have that from what I’ve seen. I guess Umbrella is her most classic and memorable song, but I still don’t consider it her signature song. It doesn’t really fit the epitome of her personality and who I think of her as now. Ever since Rated R, she’s been seen as the cool bad bitch, whereas Umbrella still reminds me of her good girl days and I never hear it played anymore. We Found Love and Diamonds remind me more of her personality now, but they’re never talked about or played anywhere anymore. That’s why, to me, Work and Wild Thoughts, her newest hits, are the most signature Rihanna songs for me at the moment. They best represent the personality/persona Rihanna has to me, while being currently the most relevant. I’m sure whatever her next hits are will be more signature “Rihanna” for me as well. That’s why I’m saying, she doesn’t really have a signature song imo. Her signature song will always be the most recent because she’s constantly evolving, changing, and fitting into whatever is fresh, and her past hits are kinda forgotten about and replaced by her new hits since she’s always releasing new, fresh music.

Insteresting point you make but, in my opinion:

• Umbrella was her bad girl transition. She just went even badder with Rated R;
  • Continuing to have multiple hits doesn't mean someone doesn't have a signature song. There will always be a song(s) that people will associate with Rihanna instantly. The defining song in her career that is. I think it's Umbrella, but that's just my opinion.
  • Her old songs aren't forgotten, otherwise, people wouldn't be streaming it. They just happen to be overshadowed by her new hits (which is normal).

Back in 2007-2010, I would've said "Don't Stop The Music", but over time it really has become "Umbrella". :yaknow: I still associate DSTM and "Russian Roulette" with her whenever I see her, 'cause those are two of my faves (along with "Man Down" and "Where Have You Been").

I would say that Rihanna is one of few artists that does not have a "signature" song per se.  She has so many HUGE hits, I don't think that there's a definitive song that one could say is her signature.  I'd say the same for Madonna.

For the GP I think it'd be Umbrella but for me, when I think of Rihanna Diamonds comes first to mind. My fave song of hers, a gem tbh :urite:

Altho I do agree with what's written above, she has so many hits that saying Umbrella is her signature song feels kinda reductive. 

I voted Umbrella, which I loved then and now, but was introduced to Rihanna via SOS. I knew Pon de Replay existed back then but wouldn't come to appreciate it until later in life lol.

Diamonds is a close second and I might be delusional but What's My Name was another relatively big song, too. Whether it's a signature is debatable...

All the songs listed in the poll are great, though! :mattafact: