We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Sign in to follow this  
breatheheavy

Taylor Swift’s ‘Reputation’ Release Rollout Is Extremely Business Savvy

Look what we made her do.

Look what we made her do.

Taylor Swift's forthcoming sixth studio album Reputation will reportedly not have a Deluxe edition. What does this mean? There is not a version with less tracks and one with more. If that's got you down, don't fret. The pop star's record will also be released as a Target exclusive which features 72 pages of personal poetry and photos as well as artwork by Swift, handwritten lyric sheets, outtakes from the “Look What You Made Me Do” music video shoot, and a poster.

It's an interesting move, and hopefully a route other artists follow. So much of music consumption is based off of streaming that producing physical Standard AND Deluxe formats feels like... blank space. Also, I've always felt like it implied that the bonus tracks on the Deluxe weren't up to par for the Standard, so it's like... 'here you go peasants.'

Swift is also testing out a very business savvy tactic with this record. She is teaming up with Ticketmaster and trying out an algorithm that should potentially keep scalpers from gobbling up tickets from real fans. How? Those who watch her “Look What You Made Me Do” music video or spend money on her merch will give get priority in the queue. But the biggest boost? Pre-ordering the album, which costs $15 alone plus nearly $50 for shipping.

UpROXX spills the tea:
It used to be artists toured in order to promote their newest albums, but Taylor Swift is flipping that dynamic in the most mind-bending way possible, to the point that if you even want to see her live, you almost have to purchase her upcoming record. If anyone had doubt that Reputation would smash some major records when it drops this November, this system should erase those completely.

In other words, the more time and money you spend on Taylor, the bigger the diamond-filled bathtub she can soak in.

Get your coinz out! Taylor is coming.

reputation magazines Vol.1 & Vol. 2 Target exclusive. Nov. 10. Pre-order now.

A post shared by Taylor Swift (@taylorswift) on

There will be no further explanation. There will just be reputation.

A post shared by Taylor Swift (@taylorswift) on

Thoughts on Taylor choosing not to release Reputation with a Deluxe edition? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

"The pop star's record will also be released as a Target exclusive which features 72 pages of personal poetry and photos as well as artwork by Swift, handwritten lyric sheets, outtakes from the “Look What You Made Me Do” music video shoot, and a poster." :disbelief:

-So jealous of Swift fans RN :yeaok:

3 hours ago, Brat2017 said:

"The pop star's record will also be released as a Target exclusive which features 72 pages of personal poetry and photos as well as artwork by Swift, handwritten lyric sheets, outtakes from the “Look What You Made Me Do” music video shoot, and a poster." :disbelief:

-So jealous of Swift fans RN :yeaok:

Target always has huge things for her eras. Like the whole music section is taylor but that is how she sells millions first week. 

Its smart.

I think the ticket shipping thing is greedy. They could give fans codes on her fan site to help prevent scalpers but instead gonna make her young audiance spent over $200 for her show basically. Greedy if you ask me 

Just now, Spearsfan said:

$50 for shipping.

The ticket thing is smart but that is a bit much. :whitney:

Let's watch and see what will be... at least she's doing something. I bet her fans will do anything to see her since she's making headlines here and there.

Plus, it's not like you're going to spend a penny on that. Let's watch a passionate singer doing it and if this method it's a hit or miss. 

I admire her and her team! They are growing... I can't say the same about other pop starlets. :urite:

5 minutes ago, Hope said:

POM's M&Gs say hi... Let's not plz. :gross:

I know, right? I can't with this fanbase being so jealous of Taylor's success, like I won't understand this. I understand why so much hate for Beyonce, but Taylor is the example of a female pop star that can fucking maintain a CAREER! She's in the industry like forever and she keeps pulling those numbers like crazy, damn girl! Doing pop on a season full of tropical and rap sh!t, hands down she's fearless. 

Just now, Style. said:

Let's watch and see what will be... at least she's doing something. I bet her fans will do anything to see her since she's making headlines here and there.

Plus, it's not like you're going to spend a penny on that. Let's watch a passionate singer doing it and if this method it's a hit or miss. 

I admire her and her team! They are growing... I can't say the same about other pop starlets. :urite:

The concept for target exposure and hype is smart and has been for three yrs now.

The ticket thing is a great concept but is it really helping the fans when you add on all the stuff they have to buy, it's almost just as much for scalper tickets.

You cant over look it all and say there isn't greed in there some where. 

Im not buying tickets so I don't care that much and I'm sure she will sell millions regardless 

11 minutes ago, Hope said:

POM's M&Gs say hi... Let's not plz. :gross:

Team Britney is some of the greediest. Just because I'm saying one is greedy doesn't mean the other isn't as well. 

1 minute ago, Style. said:

I know, right? I can't with this fanbase being so jealous of Taylor's success, like I won't understand this. I understand why so much hate for Beyonce, but Taylor is the example of a female pop star that can fucking maintain a CAREER! She's in the industry like forever and she keeps pulling those numbers like crazy, damn girl! Doing pop on a season full of tropical and rap sh!t, hands down she's fearless. 

I give her props. You all are just really defensive :tiffcackle:

3 minutes ago, Style. said:

She's been in the industry for 11 years, let's not act like she's Madonna :whitney:

Just now, ShowdownITZ said:

She's been in the industry for 11 years, let's not act like she's Madonna :whitney:

I don't get your point srsly and btw no one can be Madonna, not even close. period 

Just now, Style. said:

I don't get your point srsly and btw no one can be Madonna, not even close. period 

You said she's been in the industry for years but it's been 11 years, let's not act like she's been in it for 30

Just now, ShowdownITZ said:

You said she's been in the industry for years but it's been 11 years, let's not act like she's been in it for 30

In comparison with others, it's a lot! Don't forget that everytime she pulls an album out, she's selling with BIG numbers.