We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

ATWK

Madonna's Hung Up (appreciation thread)

maxresdefault.jpg

(click on the image to open the video)

Here are some WW stats (UWC):

• It stayed at #1 for 14 weeks (a record at the time), until Madonna blocked herself with Sorry (which stayed at #1 for 6 weeks). Had she not done that, Hung Up would've stayed at the top position for over 20 weeks;
  • It was both the 8th biggest track of 2005, and 2006;
  • It holds the Guiness World Record for most countries that a song went number 1, snatching the top position in 41 countries;
  • It has sold over 7 million album equivalents and is Madonna's 10th biggest song (Chartmasters);
  • It charted averagely in the US (#7) due to poor airplay, a result of the controversial American Life era;
  • ABBA only agreed to let Madonna use the sample after making a copyright agreement that entitled them to a significant share of the royalties from subsequent sales and airplay;
  • It is widely recognized as one of the biggest comebacks by a female artist;
  • It was performed at the 2005 MTV EMAs, in Portugal, and at the 2006 Grammys.

Show this classic some appreciation.

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, I Always Sing Live said:

More of a "Music" and "American Life" fan but the impact "Confessions" and especially "Hung Up" had is undeniable. If you deny the impact of this era you are a complete idiot, period. Besides, the "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme" sample is brilliant. :lemmetellu:

The sample usage in Hung Up is one of the best I've ever heard. It's f*ckin' amazing. :lemmetellu:

On 23/08/2017 at 7:30 PM, BOBIBCFBG said:

That's a great song! Love that she sampled Abba! The album was soooo good!! I went to that tour =)

I envy you. :wendycry: That tour looked amazing. Deserved Sticky & Sweaty's record. :wendycry:

9 hours ago, Pedro Dantas said:

I envy you. :wendycry: That tour looked amazing. Deserved Sticky & Sweaty's record. :wendycry:

It was SUCH a good show!! I had tickets to S&S but couldn't go so I had to sell them and I'm glad that it was the tour I missed - it didn't look too great. I went to MDNA too and it was awesome but then didn't care to go to Rebel Heart. Again, it didn't look overly amazing. So I saw the two tours I wanted to see =)

The “Love Song” re-hashed lyrics always bothered me but nonetheless, it was still a great track and the perfect first single for this album. It completely sets the tone for the rest of the album. I’ve been disappointed with Madonna’s arrangements for this song on the Sticky And Sweet and MDNA tours, though. I feel like this is the kind of song that should always be performed as the album version or close to it.

42 minutes ago, ExtraMile4U said:

I just recently bought the Confessions tour CD/DVD, still waiting for it to arrive in my mailbox!! 

OMG I have the Tour DVD, get ready for your wig to fly off to Antarctica sis :scalped: 

3 hours ago, ExtraMile4U said:

I just recently bought the Confessions tour CD/DVD, still waiting for it to arrive in my mailbox!! 

It's my favorite tour of her. I have that DVD too and I love the editing on it, and the use of fake vocals isn't as obvious as it was for the last 3 tours dvd. You'll certainly love it! :madance:

On 27/08/2017 at 2:17 PM, LoanSPW said:

The “Love Song” re-hashed lyrics always bothered me but nonetheless, it was still a great track and the perfect first single for this album. It completely sets the tone for the rest of the album. I’ve been disappointed with Madonna’s arrangements for this song on the Sticky And Sweet and MDNA tours, though. I feel like this is the kind of song that should always be performed as the album version or close to it.

I liked the MDNA Tour version but I agree with you that she should always perform the original version.The ABBA sample is what adds Hung Up it's "thrust", which is one of the reasons why it's such a good song.

I prefer "Jump" and "Sorry", but "Hung Up" was definitely the biggest smasher from that album. :myjam: 

I fucking love Madonna, so many good songs from so many different decades. I still bop to "Secret", "Frozen", all the "True Blue" singles, "Vogue", "Take A Bow", "Die Another Day", "4 Minutes", "Girl Gone Wild" and "Ghosttown".

19 hours ago, Brichney. said:

It slays but I don't like Madonna. 

:wtf: 

20 hours ago, Pedro Dantas said:

I liked the MDNA Tour version but I agree with you that she should always perform the original version.The ABBA sample is what adds Hung Up it's "thrust", which is one of the reasons why it's such a good song.

Agree 100%! :slayney:

16 hours ago, BrittonJeanSpears said:

I prefer "Jump" and "Sorry", but "Hung Up" was definitely the biggest smasher from that album. :myjam: 

I fucking love Madonna, so many good songs from so many different decades. I still bop to "Secret", "Frozen", all the "True Blue" singles, "Vogue", "Take A Bow", "Die Another Day", "4 Minutes", "Girl Gone Wild" and "Ghosttown".

Jump is my favorite song from Confessions! Tho my favorite song of hers is probably Vogue! Greatest song of all-time! :madance:

4 hours ago, Hope said:

Why wasn't "Get Together" a massive hit? It's such a good song. :crying11:

1. The song wasn't planned to be released as a single. It was rush-released due to being the third most downloaded song from the album.

2. There was very little effort put into the making of the video and it shows.

3. The US didn't play her tracks on the radio after American Life was deemed as anti-patriotic.