We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

breatheheavy

Mariah Carey's Ex-Choreographer: She’s Performing With Lackluster And No F—ks Given

He says she could care less.

Mariah Carey’s former choreographer tells an honest truth: she could care less.

Mariah’s New Year’s Eve performance was a debacle – you know, the one where she aimlessly walked around on stage because she reportedly couldn’t hear anything (the production company adamantly denies any fault and claims she "didn't have a sound check" for certain songs).

For most, such an embarrassing fiasco would be a wakeup call. Not Mariah. She not only blamed the flub on a technical glitch, but the singer immediately fired her choreographer/creative director, Anthony Burrell. Things have gone downhill ever since.

A handful of videos have gone viral in recent weeks showing how lazy Mariah looks on stage. It appears she can barely even move at times.

In a new interview, Burrell is going in. He doesn’t sugarcoat things, telling Complex "It's just typical Mariah.”

"Mariah is clear: when she doesn’t wanna do something, she doesn’t do it. She’s performing with lackluster and no fucks given, and it’s taking away her star."​

He adds his main focus was to make her feel comfortable on stage as a performer. "Working with an artist like Mariah, who’s not a mover first, it’s always a challenge to get them to think physically and not just vocally," he said. "You always have to keep in mind that they’re a singer first. The priority is not teaching them 100 counts of 8, or endless routines. I wanted to give Mariah a modern push to revamp her, give her a fresher, more modern feel, make her more aware of her body and her lines, and not look like her feet hurt when she’s walking."

Burrell collaborated with Mariah for four years. He says she leaned heavily on his creative direction, but now that he’s gone it’s clear she and her team have no idea what to do. "You're a legend," Burrell said. "But you don’t care, your team doesn’t care. They’re not guiding and directing her. She’s back to where she was before. It's not like she's never looked this bad before; I just stepped her game up."

He also recalled how inexperienced her team was. "It felt like they were so new at their jobs, and had no direction," he said. "When you’re green, you’re playing things by trial and error, and there were a lot of errors. I was very vocal about things that weren’t right. When you try to take a shortcut and you don’t know the clues, you’re bound to get fucked up or screwed, because you don’t have the experience of running a tour or a billion-dollar empire. Some of the dancers her team hired are great dancers, but they’re not choreographers or creative directors."

Burrell threw in a couple of compliments though, calling her a "world-class artist" and "a great person to work with." Though, it certainly doesn’t sound like it.

Thoughts on the tea? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

I've always been a fan of Mariah's older music, but never her as a person. I think she is a pretentious, self-absorbed c*nt, and she always gets a pass because "she's just a diva". Diva behavior won't get you very far, and it will eventually catch up to you. Now, her career is in the toilet and I could honestly care less. I have no tolerance for bitchy artists.

Her NYE performance already proved that she gives no fucks about her career, her fans, or those around her.

Sit down girl.... oh wait, you already were. :tiffcackle:

Even in her youth Mariah had been lazy about her choreography, but her execution recently is just inexcusable.

Mariah isn't a performer, though.. She's a vocalist. You don't see Mariah for the choreography.

Mariah isn't a dancer tho she's one of the best vocalists of all time. I just want to hear here hit those high notes on Emotions and Vision of Love and belt out Hero, One Sweet Day, and We Belong Together. And for her more urban songs like Honey, Fantasy, Touch My Body, etc she can just look amazing and be carried around by her hunky boyfriend. 

I've been criticizing Britney's POM and I won't take back anything I said...But this is all kinds of wrong. Like if you don't want to do that go back to photoshopping your photos on IG or something. She's literally saying to her audience that she'd like to be anywhere else than here. :wyd: :ricackle:

Not trying to offend her fans (I know there's many here), but between those two clips, it honestly appears as though she has a problem with mixing prescription pills and alcohol. That's pretty much exactly how someone appears when they have taken benzodiazepines, or even narcotics to a lesser extent (e.g., Oxycodone), and then washed them down with some alcoholic beverages.

I honestly know very little about her so I probably shouldn't even be speculating, but it just stood out to me. In the off chance I'm right, I hope she gets the help she needs. 

On 8/9/2017 at 1:46 PM, Brat2017 said:

The creative team pursued choreography for her show to deflect the fact that she's losing her voice

Exactly she had an amazing voice however it's no where near the same for unknown reasons.

This choreographer spilled the tea on the Lambs and your comment and the choreographer's comment is spot on.

Being carried around on stage or laying down most the time is why they wanted to improve her on stage.

No ones expecting Mariah to dance like Janet, J.Lo or give the energy Madonna puts on stage.