We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

ALLEYESONUS!

Anyone else that suffers from depression?

I have times like this, sometimes it can just be hormones depending how old you are, but don't ever be afraid to ask for help professional or not :hugs: if you are worried I would suggest telling someone how you are feeling, as cliche as it sounds talking does help and sometimes just crying helps aswell, I've been there. We all need a cry sometimes and believe it or not it does make you feel better. 

Sometimes when I notice my mood shift or when I start noticing that depressive thoughts come around, I try writing them down in a journal. Or at least writing down some of the feelings and emotions that are coming up for me at that moment. I've learned that sometimes it's helpful to embrace the feelings you're experiencing in that moment, rather than trying to push them away or cover them up. Sometimes I try to pace my breathing, literally try to feel my breath slow down and that sometimes calms me down (don't overdo it though)!

When my depression really affects me, it knocks the energy and life out of me and it makes it hard to complete daily tasks and balance some responsibilities. Make sure that you at least are trying to sleep enough, eat well, maybe take a walk, do little tasks like making your bed, etc.

Of course, I have sought therapy out before and medication, but that's really up to you and whomever you seek help from (if you decide to seek the assistance of a professional). No matter what paths you choose toward wellness and healing from depression or depressive thoughts, know that you're doing the best you can at that moment and the fact that you're taking steps toward caring for yourself is admirable and courageous.

You got this! :hugs: 

Depression is a horrible feeling. It really feels like you're dying especially when someone you love passes away or you get your heart broken from an asshole. It took me a while but I finally went to a psychiatrist and he prescribed me anti depressant. Honestly Prozac helped me a lot. It took about a month to feel the results but it was worth it. Yeah sometimes I get sad here and there but it only lasts for like a half hour. I'm only human. Ever since Prozac, I've been feeling great and been more motivated to go out and accomplish things.  I suggest seeking a psychiatrist if your depression is bad. He/she will prescribe you a medication specifically for your depression. Sometimes they prescribe a different anti depressant than Prozac. Some prescribe Zoloft or other anti depressants. Some people that are depressed don't even need medication. Sometimes they just need someone to vent to which is where therapists come in handy. Wishing you the best of luck and hope you get through this :bigkiss:

Spoiler

I don't really talk about my mental health on here. I don't know if I suffer from depression but I've deffo had depressive thoughts before, especially when I was doing my A Levels 2 years ago and also when I first started uni I was a bit homesick and struggling to cope. I get panic attacks on rare occasions and one of my lecturers thought I was suffering from an anxiety disorder because I had a panic attack and freaked out during a speaking assignment I had to do earlier this year. She said I should speak to someone and get properly diagnosed as I could get mitigating circumstances for speaking assignments for the next year if I'm too nervous to speak in front of large audiences. I've had problems with that since I was young because I'm always scared I will mess up what I'm saying and disappoint people. When I was at secondary school I was actually referred to a Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) for counselling because my school was concerned about my well-being and anxiety issues. I've always been too scared to speak to any doctors or anything like that though and sometimes days pass where I feel fine and happy and that my depressive thoughts and anxiety is just a phase doctors won't take seriously enough. I've felt a bit on edge recently actually because of stuff going on in my private life. So yeah I don't really know where I stand at the moment.

I do get depressed sometimes but when I do I try to think about the postitive things in my  life:mhm: talking to someone helps too :brityes:

hope it's gone depression is a really shitty thing and no one deserves it

On 2017-07-24 at 2:56 AM, SlayOut said:

Sometimes when I notice my mood shift or when I start noticing that depressive thoughts come around, I try writing them down in a journal. Or at least writing down some of the feelings and emotions that are coming up for me at that moment. I've learned that sometimes it's helpful to embrace the feelings you're experiencing in that moment, rather than trying to push them away or cover them up. Sometimes I try to pace my breathing, literally try to feel my breath slow down and that sometimes calms me down (don't overdo it though)!

When my depression really affects me, it knocks the energy and life out of me and it makes it hard to complete daily tasks and balance some responsibilities. Make sure that you at least are trying to sleep enough, eat well, maybe take a walk, do little tasks like making your bed, etc.

Of course, I have sought therapy out before and medication, but that's really up to you and whomever you seek help from (if you decide to seek the assistance of a professional). No matter what paths you choose toward wellness and healing from depression or depressive thoughts, know that you're doing the best you can at that moment and the fact that you're taking steps toward caring for yourself is admirable and courageous.

You got this! :hugs: 

Thank you! 

Im going to start writing things down, maybe it will help. Sometimes I try to ignore the feelings but it usually just makes it worse in the end because when I do "break down" over something, all the other feelings that I've b en pushing away comes out at the same time and I become such a mess. 

I don't know if you understand what I meant by that but maybe. 

And again, thanks! 

On 2017-07-24 at 3:10 AM, The Holy Spearit said:

Depression is a horrible feeling. It really feels like you're dying especially when someone you love passes away or you get your heart broken from an asshole. It took me a while but I finally went to a psychiatrist and he prescribed me anti depressant. Honestly Prozac helped me a lot. It took about a month to feel the results but it was worth it. Yeah sometimes I get sad here and there but it only lasts for like a half hour. I'm only human. Ever since Prozac, I've been feeling great and been more motivated to go out and accomplish things.  I suggest seeking a psychiatrist if your depression is bad. He/she will prescribe you a medication specifically for your depression. Sometimes they prescribe a different anti depressant than Prozac. Some prescribe Zoloft or other anti depressants. Some people that are depressed don't even need medication. Sometimes they just need someone to vent to which is where therapists come in handy. Wishing you the best of luck and hope you get through this :bigkiss:

Thank you! 

I might go see someone. This is affecting my life, especially socially which is really hard cause I don't really see a lot of people anymore and a lot do my friends have moved away and I kind of have a hard time making new ones.

On 2017-07-31 at 4:30 AM, Chaoscontrol said:

I won't go into too much detail but I have felt like this many times throughout my life. One of the best things I ever did was enter therapy and go weekly. It's awkward as hell at first, but it's helped me tremendously. Stay strong dude :) :hugs:

Thanks! 

Im really considering it! 

On 2017-07-31 at 0:14 PM, $elfish said:

I do get depressed sometimes but when I do I try to think about the postitive things in my  life:mhm: talking to someone helps too :brityes:

hope it's gone depression is a really shitty thing and no one deserves it

Thanks! Yeah, talking helps a lot! But I'm always worried that my friends and family are gonna get annoyed with me talking about negative stuff, that's why I made this thread. So I could talk to others, sometimes it feels good to talk to people even if you don't know them .

On 2017-07-24 at 2:30 AM, Shadow. said:

I have times like this, sometimes it can just be hormones depending how old you are, but don't ever be afraid to ask for help professional or not :hugs: if you are worried I would suggest telling someone how you are feeling, as cliche as it sounds talking does help and sometimes just crying helps aswell, I've been there. We all need a cry sometimes and believe it or not it does make you feel better. 

Thanks! 

Crying helps me a lot. I'm probably gonna start see a professional for help! 

Its so strange, I would never admit to a friend or family member that I cry cause i don't really like them to know but here it feels good to admit it.

@ALLEYESONUS!. I work as a Neuropsych Technician in Clinical and Consulting Neuropsycholgy, am a Research Assistant at a psychopathology lab in grad school, and am currently a full-time graduate school student pursuing my doctorate in Psychological Sciences. (Just offering this disclaimer because I don't trust anyone's credentials on the internet and always assume they received their pearls of wisdom via WebMD or something) :Lshark:

ETA: The above was not intended in any way to belittle the responses you've received so far in this thread; there's a lot of good, sympathetic answers and advice that's been offered. 

Anyway, I have several assessments saved on my home computer, which help determine if your depressive symptoms are at the subclinical level (I.e, impacting quality of life and overall functioning, but doesn't meet the threshold for Major Depressive Disorder), or if the symptomatology is actually clinically significant and meets criteria for MDD. I assume you wouldn't want to answer the questions publicly on this forum, so PM me if you're interested and I can send you one of the most widely used assessments for screening depression, and then score/interpret it for you. 

I go through it at times. Make sure you have a friend you can go out with, every now and then. Go out and eat well, take care of yourself, it's good for you. Go dancing or run or go to the beach. Do things that keep you away from using your phone, get closer to nature. I believe social media and technology played a major role in the current depressing state of humanity. 

Me. But I actually feel better than 2 months ago. I started doing cutting last year and I stopped a while ago, but anyway i'm still afraid of my future.

I suffer from depression long time now (I think) I'm 26 now btw. It happens cause I think a lot and always the story that I make up in my mind goes wrong and smth horrible happens or somehow people think badly of me in the end.

I've learned to be surrounded by actual people and events, being busy, doing something all the time helps me instead of thinking about negative stuff all the time. Sorry I know it sounds cheesy but you should talk to friends, even on this forum, post, talk, start discussions just do stuff.

I've seen comments here about medications but I don't think you should go there, meds can help temporary but also mess you up, I avoid pills like the plague.

And also my favourite motivation is that if Britney can get through 2007 (she was my age then, trust me I understand that sh!t more that anything now), so can you honey

Stay strong and focus on positive things :kiss:

Don't worry, you're not alone.

I suffer from depression all my life and for the past two years it's been hitting me hard (life, bills, not having a job, responsibilities) and sometimes I feel like just ending it all but I see Britney still trying to make it and still persevering even in the face of negative people and even though she is not 100% there, she is still trying which is why I kept stringing along but lately I realize that I was just living simply just to live and survive and that with my low self confidence, it didn't help and no one is gonna help you if you don't help yourself. I used to write faithfully in my journals and the act of physically writing and being able to see my thoughts in front of me help me confront my feelings and insecurities (sometimes making me realize how silly I was for thinking that or understand why I felt like that) and that helped me become in tune with myself and appreciate myself. It's true even though it's a cliche is to love yourself. I'm still struggling and slowly try to build myself up. You can listen to everybody's advice and suggestions but if you can't learn to embrace who you are and love yourself, you're just blindly doing things just for the sake of it and you start to drift back into depression again. That is me and I used to think that I am not worth anything or I don't deserve the best but if I think that, people will think that of me and it's just an ongoing circle. I'm glad that there are people out there that feel the same and it's great to have topics like this.