We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

JessicaPetterson

Lorde Slams Media For Second Misquote Regarding Taylor Swift

9 posts in this topic

"Taylor has been there for me in all my dark and light moments".

Can Lorde live?

Media publications seem oddly desperate to create an imagined rift between the New Zealand singer and famous BFF Taylor Swift. Lorde once again took to social media to reinforce that nothing has changed between them.

The 20-year-old's Twitter statement explains what she actually said and calls out the bizarre way people have reacted to Taylor Swift having numerous famous friends surrounding her:

“Wow - something of a frustrating thing to have to address online but here we go. Taylor is a dear friend. I love her very much. In the interview in question I had just been talking about Bowie and Patti Smith — those were the idols I was referring to that I was saying I’m not friends with, not Taylor!.

I’ve always found people’s perception of this ‘squad’ idea frustrating in the past; it was never some exclusive club of secret society, but a wide circle of people, some of whom I know, and some who I’ve never met ... forgive me for the mild eyeroll I popped when it was brought up as if we’re all blood members of a secret cult.

Really sh*tty to wake up to headlines about whether or not you've jumped ship on someone you deeply respect and ride for. I want to say one more time that Taylor has been there for me in all my dark and light moments these past five years. All of them. I feel truly terrible that it would ever seem like I wasn't faithfully her person. I f**ked up an interview question. Now go sip a beverage and head out on a walk."

Whether you like either artist, it seems clear this is still yet another tired case of the media attempting to incite a "cat fight" between two female artists where no animosity even exists. In 2015, the Daily Mail claimed Beyonce and Nicki Minaj ignored each other while watching Drake's Coachella set. Turns out they were filming the Feelin' Myself music video together! What kind of damage does reporting like this do to the perception of female friendships?

Singer KT Tunstall and duo Tegan and Sara weighed in:

The method against Lorde appears to be misconstruing her words deliberately. A few weeks ago, Lorde made the unfortunate comparison of dealing with fame to dealing with an auto-immune disease. While that was certainly problematic, and Lorde apologised quickly, what was overlooked is that Lorde wasn't talking about her friendship with Swift at all, despite several articles framing her words as such.

The current misquote Lorde is addressing appears to have happened similarly. At 1:29 in the below video, interviewer David Koch asks Lorde what it was like to move from an observer of celebrities, to mingling with them. As he asks this, photos of Lorde with Beyonce and Taylor Swift are displayed, therefore implying Lorde might be referring to them - even if she wasn't. A noticeable jump in audio editing follows before her response:

"The second you think too hard about it, you'll go insane so it's best just to be like "We're in wonderland and that's just what happens around here".

Another jump in audio editing and Lorde quips "...like, also I...don't hang out with these people at all..." to which Koch interrupts "Hang on, you're part of Taylor's squad!". This depends on whether Koch referred to Swift as one of his examples in the first place, though. As Lorde has clarified, she was referring to her musical heroes Joni Mitchell and David Bowie. It makes perfect sense that Lorde wouldn't view Taylor as an "idol" anymore after five years of close friendship.

This isn't even the first time Lorde and Taylor have been targeted by the exact same rumour. In 2015, the pair had to deny rumours of in-fighting because they hadn't collaborated together yet. WTF?

While criticism of the way Taylor chose to portray her friendship group in the Bad Blood music video is somewhat valid, general critique of Swift surrounding herself with friends is a more confusing attempt to demonise her. Now that social media has perhaps rendered it ineffectual to show female stars in candid settings without makeup, efforts now seem turned towards building the idea that women can't be friends without being catty. Or is this just another embarrassing bid for the winning clickbait headline while Lorde is the current hot topic?

Anyway, Melodrama debuted at number one in four countries, including the United States. She's 20, this is an amazing achievement. Go Lorde.

Thoughts? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram.

Lorde is young and everyone makes mistakes but to be real, I'm already over her.  She's not that fascinating of a person that the media needs to talk about her 24/7. just let the girl sing her songs and move on. 

Lorde should just let go of that made-for-publicity friendship. I mean she's a smart girl and her hanging out with Swift doesn't even make sense in the first place. I'm all in for diverse friendships and I'm sure they make you grow stronger, but when your friend is supposed to be the queen and you a squad member then there's a problem.  I know she wrote "Love Club" before her friendship with Taylor but when you listen to it you can't help but feel like she despises everything a person like Swift exudes. 

2 hours ago, Chris88 said:

Lorde should just let go of that made-for-publicity friendship. I mean she's a smart girl and her hanging out with Swift doesn't even make sense in the first place. I'm all in for diverse friendships and I'm sure they make you grow stronger, but when your friend is supposed to be the queen and you a squad member then there's a problem.  I know she wrote "Love Club" before her friendship with Taylor but when you listen to it you can't help but feel like she despises everything a person like Swift exudes. 

Both times she's clarified that she did not mention Taylor at all, though. Both times the interviewers were talking about fame in general then use Swift's name to illustrate the point/get more attention. Lorde's statement also clarifies that there is no "squad" in a strict sense, just a wide group of people with Swift in common. This isn't about Lorde and Taylor so much as it is the media wishing it was. 

My only issue with Swift and Lorde is the age difference. Then again, I've met mature teenagers before so it's not impossible they'd relate, particularly since their music covers a lot of the same themes. 

2 hours ago, PussyLova said:

i cant stand the face of this woman... she is very very unpleasant to look at

Was just about to say the same...can't focus on what she has to say because of her fugly face. Besides that she doesn't have anything interesting to say anyway.

can she please just take a trip to Oblivion?!

This is a world where you can't criticize Taylor Swift or Beyonce. Surely she wasn't "attacking" Swift but it's getting ridiculous. Yes, I was mad at Katy Perry for her Britney comments but they were uncalled for and below the belt. But when it's Beyonce or Taylor, one word is too much. I remember the internet tearing down Karrueche Tran because she made a joke on her show about Blue's hair and even the producer was suspended. 

On 7/9/2017 at 1:07 AM, Chris88 said:

This is a world where you can't criticize Taylor Swift or Beyonce. Surely she wasn't "attacking" Swift but it's getting ridiculous. Yes, I was mad at Katy Perry for her Britney comments but they were uncalled for and below the belt. But when it's Beyonce or Taylor, one word is too much. I remember the internet tearing down Karrueche Tran because she made a joke on her show about Blue's hair and even the producer was suspended. 

Thats why i cant stand either one of them. The media made them this glorified figure and whats worse is that they both believe it.