We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
breatheheavy

Katy Perry’s ‘Witness’ Streams Edge Out Taylor Swift’s ‘1989’ By A Smidgen

15 posts in this topic

A win's a win.

A win's a win.

Katy Perry has done her best to bury the hatchet with Taylor Swift. The two pop stars are embroiled in an ongoing feud over years-old industry drama. No one is really even sure why they're still caught up in it, including Perry. "I am ready to let it go," Perry recently said. "I forgive her and I'm sorry for anything I ever did, and I hope the same from her. I think it's actually like, I think it's time. There are bigger fish to fry, and there are real problems in the world.

There's more: "I love her, and I want the best for her," she added. "I think she's a fantastic songwriter, and I think that, you know, if we, both her and I, can be representatives of strong women that come together despite their differences, I think the whole world is going to go like, 'Yeah, well we can do this.'"

Perry's comments come even after Swift's attempts to foil Perry's Witness debut by unleashing her entire catalogue of music onto other streaming platforms outside of Apple Music like Spotify and Amazon. Tay's diabolical plan nearly worked. Songs off Witness were streamed 19.2 million times, only 300,000 more than Taylor's 18.9 million streams for tracks off 1989, Nielsen Music confirms. As Spin points out, these figures take only audio streams into account.

The "Roulette" singer also opened up at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart with 180,000 equivalent album units, 162,000 of which were traditional album sales – 1989 resurfaced at No. 31.

Katy wins this one, but that was too close for comfort; let's not forget 1989 is nearly three years old and Katy was in promo mode for weeks leading up to the release. But like I mentioned, a win's a win!

Thoughts? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

I wouldn't exactly call this a win. Taylor's album is out 3 years and people flocked to hear it, despite the bulk of her fanbase buying it and the fact that taylor has been nowhere to been in weeks. Katy had celebrity feuds, politics, a politically driven single, sex driven single, more feuding in a sing, three features, *deep breath*, television promotional interviews, award shows, video promotion, lgbtq+ awards, homophobia claims, racism claims, mental health shaming claims, carpool karoke....*deep breath two*, and then we get into the week of live streams, which were nonstop and featured her breaking down (similar to britney), saying she got destroyed by fame (similar to lady Gaga), brining up taylor, apologising to everyone she's feuding with, and to put one of many cherries on the cake, having a black gay woman tell Caitlyn Jenner that she doesn't get lgbt issues, and benefitted from being a rich white man for years, ontop of a number of celebrity appearances.

All taylor had to do to rival her was put it on spotify, and give some notice.

Its like paying five quid for a lotto ticket, and winning a one quid scratch card: Yes, its a win, but its a loss in the bigger picture.

4 hours ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

I wouldn't exactly call this a win. Taylor's album is out 3 years and people flocked to hear it, despite the bulk of her fanbase buying it and the fact that taylor has been nowhere to been in weeks. Katy had celebrity feuds, politics, a politically driven single, sex driven single, more feuding in a sing, three features, *deep breath*, television promotional interviews, award shows, video promotion, lgbtq+ awards, homophobia claims, racism claims, mental health shaming claims, carpool karoke....*deep breath two*, and then we get into the week of live streams, which were nonstop and featured her breaking down (similar to britney), saying she got destroyed by fame (similar to lady Gaga), brining up taylor, apologising to everyone she's feuding with, and to put one of many cherries on the cake, having a black gay woman tell Caitlyn Jenner that she doesn't get lgbt issues, and benefitted from being a rich white man for years, ontop of a number of celebrity appearances.

All taylor had to do to rival her was put it on spotify, and give some notice.

Its like paying five quid for a lotto ticket, and winning a one quid scratch card: Yes, its a win, but its a loss in the bigger picture.

I wonder if she would dare do this if Adele were to release a new album?

That is certainly not at all a win because Katy's new album hasn't been out for more than two weeks and is already starting to flop to the high heavens. Meanwhile Taylor's almost 3 year old album is still charting strong and got more streams than Witness on it's first Spotify day. Witness is predicted to fall to #18 on the BB200 with a 90 percent drop next week so Katy in fact is actually losing. Even Glory didn't have as big of a drop as that and that's Britney's ninth album were talking about while this is only Katy's fourth one.

I honestly don't feel any sympathy for Katy because she brought this major decline upon herself with her lack of creativity, lack of talent, horrilbe attitude, mockery of mental health, and the list can go on and on with the things she's done that have damaged her career.

It seems like Katy's ticket bundles could only go so far :truthtea:

9 hours ago, KatLove said:

I wonder if she would dare do this if Adele were to release a new album?

If it was Adele. Taylor and Adele could be neck in neck with each other. If its Katy, all of this hype wouldn't come close to adele just releasing music.

4 hours ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

If it was Adele. Taylor and Adele could be neck in neck with each other. If its Katy, all of this hype wouldn't come close to adele just releasing music.

Taylor and Adele wouldn't go neck and neck with each other lol. Adele sells more albums than Taylor.

22 minutes ago, KatLove said:

Taylor and Adele wouldn't go neck and neck with each other lol. Adele sells more albums than Taylor.

they'd be fairly close for awhile, keep in mind, taylor is the only one who came close to breaking Britney's record for biggest female debut in its first week.

why did people think 1989 would even be a contender to beat Witness? it's from 2014 and has already sold 6M in the US. Katy Perry didn't win anything by outcharting a 3 years old album that outsold her full discography  :dead:

I know Katy's situation is tragic but is it THAT bad? :dead:

5 hours ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

they'd be fairly close for awhile, keep in mind, taylor is the only one who came close to breaking Britney's record for biggest female debut in its first week.

Taylor came close. Adele broke the Oops record and tripled Britney's opening week. The record is now hers with 3,5M first week.

Are sure u want to keep using "neck to neck"?

2 minutes ago, button said:

Taylor came close. Adele broke the Oops record and tripled Britney's opening week. The record is now hers with 3,5M first week.

Are sure u want to keep using "neck to neck"?

did she triple it? i thought she got up to 1,8m from britneys 1.3?my bad