We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
breatheheavy

Liam Payne Launches Solo Career With Debut Single “Strip That Down” Featuring Quavo

38 posts in this topic

“You know I used to be in 1D (now I’m out free)."

Liam Payne just wants to get rowdy.

Payne was the only remaining member from One Direction to release solo material, but that's all changed with his new tune hip-hop-inspired new tune “Strip That Down” featuring Quavo.

The song is a celebration of sorts. Payne turned to Ed Sheeran and Steve Mac for the track – together, they helped the budding pop star express his musical independence from the band: “You know I used to be in 1D (now I’m out free)," he sings. "People want me for one thing (that’s not me).”

Liam knew that line would cause a stir. “We were very worried about this line. I never wanted it to be taken in a negative light. I think it’s a very positive one," he said in a recent interview. "I don’t think it’s a case of ‘now we’re moving on’ sort of thing. It’s more so the freedom to write the music you want to write, and I think that’s what this hiatus is for everybody. They get to explore the music they want to do. Harry’s out doing exactly what he wanted to do, Niall’s out doing the singer-songwriter-y stuff that he wanted to do as well. Louis has been amazing, going out and done a thing with Steve Aoki. And obviously Zayn, early doors, went out and did Pillow Talk. So, we’re all free to go out and do our own business.“

The track lives up to its name – the production is stripped down to a plunky hip-hop beat and twinkly production tricks. One thing's for sure – it's nothing like his musical peer Harry Styles. Payne said in an interview this week his new music is nothing like "Sign of the Times."

“It’s not something I’d listen to, but I think he did a great job of doing what he wanted to do,” he told Music Choice of Styles' debut single. “That’s the way I’d put it best, I think. The funny thing is, [Harry] would say the same thing about me because he doesn’t really listen to hip-hop music, whereas it’s like my song’s more [Tyga's] ‘Rack City’ and his song is more of a different era to something I’d listen to, I guess.”

You be the judge. Listen to “Strip That Down” below then see that cringey interview answer after that:

Thoughts on Liam's debut single? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

The 1D reference kills it for me, so cheesy to bring them in for attention. It's enough with him being shirtless and the song is alright, very Chris brown-y.

I feel so bad for this new generation. LOL.

This sound like a B-Side from Justified. Selena's new stuff sounds like ITZ rejects and Camilla having to sample Genie In a Bottle for the most memorable part of her hook is tragic.

Does anyone have impact or "it" factor anymore? I swear, only Miley has shown me any promise out of all these new acts...

I love all these songs. ITs a nice throw back and Honestly the music they are releasing  sounds like music instead of  just pop throw aways. This is exciting i just need epic videos. 

2 hours ago, BoyToySoldier said:

This sound like a B-Side from Justified. Selena's new stuff sounds like ITZ rejects and Camilla having to sample Genie In a Bottle for the most memorable part of her hook is tragic.

Does anyone have impact or "it" factor anymore? I swear, only Miley has shown me any promise out of all these new acts...

So many lackluster singles being released today. I can't :notfeelinit:

Guilty pleasure confirmed.

First listen I was like yikes!cringe

Second listen I was like, oh um ok, lemme try one more time

Tenth listen.. apparently I like this song

On 5/19/2017 at 3:43 PM, BoyToySoldier said:

I don't find Selena to have a huge stage presence, but she has found herself a type of soothing sound that kind of blends with what is popular now, but also emerges out of the rest with a unique touch at the same time.

Ariana, Miley and Selena are the cool pop girls right now. Banana, thought at a hiatus right now, as much as I hate her, knows all the basic tunes that could sell.

I don't know why Exhale is behaving like the guys are putting out better music these days just because they do better chart-wise. I'm pretty sure guys are kind of always far more easily reachable and their songs played on many different radio formats, as opposed to acts like Britney and Ariana. To me, Chainsmokers, The Weeknd, Harry Styles (and all other 1D guys minus Zayn), Bruno Mars all have average music at best.

5 minutes ago, sue the expectional earner said:

Pretty Girls sounds like fancy so both of them are Fancy rip-off :selenerz:

PG was produced by the Fancy producer so uhm yeah