We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
breatheheavy

Ed Sheeran Gives TLC's "No Scubs" Writers Songwriting Credits On "Shape Of You"

9 posts in this topic

Apparently there's enough of a likeness to TLC's "No Scrubs."

Ed Sheeran is avoiding a potential copyright lawsuit by crediting TLC's "No Scrubs" songwriters on "Shape Of You."

After Robin Thicke, Pharrell and T.I. lost their copyright lawsuit against the Marvin Gaye estate for "Blurred Lines," all bets are off. Songwriters are showering credit just to avoid any possible legal scandal and plagiarism allegations. Case and point? Ed Sheeran has added Real Housewives of Atlanta star Kandi Burruss, Tameka Cottle, and producer Kevin Briggs, the songwriters/producers of TLC's "No Scrubs," as contributors of "Shape Of You." Music publishing website ASCAP lists all three names on their site. If you listen closely, "Shape" shares a likeness to the melody in "No Scrubs."

The news comes on the heels of the announcement Ed is set to receive the Songwriters Hall of Fame's 2017 Hal David Starlight Award, which will be presented at the 48th Annual Induction and Awards Dinner on June 15 in New York.

Last year, songwriters Martin Harrington and Thomas Leonard, along with their publishing company HaloSongs, filed a $20 million suit against Ed for alleging ripping off 2010 X Factor winner Matt Cardle's song "Amazing" when his song "Photograph" took off. They claimed it was a "verbatim, note-for-note" copy. Looks like Ed wants to side-step that scenario entirely with "Shape."

Listen to the comparisons below (which even sparked a mashup from Sabrina Carpenter).

Thoughts? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

3 minutes ago, borogroves said:

how are they similar? can someone explain it to me? :nicki2:

Compare the melodies:

"a club isn't the best place to find a lover so the bar is where I go."

"a scrub is a guy who thinks he's fine He's also known as a bust."

1 hour ago, borogroves said:

don't mean to be rude but they have different rhythms and notes :jackk: 

The post includes a video by Sabrina Carpenter that shows a bit of the similarity. I also had trouble noticing.

This is fascinating to me. I didn't get the "I've heard this before" vibe with Ed's song (i.e. Hard to Forget You).

Very surprised by this. If credit had not been given, I can't imagine this would have been successful in court. Maybe a small settlement but that would be worth it to defend your integrity.

I refuse to listen to this song all the way thru, but good for the writers of No Scrubs tbh :mhmnod:

How the f*** did Gaga get away with not crediting Madonna and the writers of Express Yourself for BTW. It's a blatant ripoff 100% :rihit: