We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
breatheheavy

Father John Misty Compares Pop Stars To “Prisoners”

16 posts in this topic

"If you think that pop stars are anything other than prisoners, then you are f--king kidding yourself."

"If you think that pop stars are anything other than prisoners, then you are fucking kidding yourself."

Father John Misty (real name Joshua Tillman) is making the promotional rounds ahead of his upcoming album release, Pure Comedy (out April 7). The former Fleet Foxes drummer is no stranger to divulging eerily truthful takes on the music industry, and his new interview with Pitchfork is no exception. The music giant points out he's collaborated for Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Lana Del Rey and other influential pop stars. According to him, they request his talent in a bid to express anticonformity.

"OK, let me tell you as someone who made a grotesque foray into this world—because I have also been subjected to this music my whole life and wanted to know how the sausage was made just out of fucking morbid curiosity—there is nothing not wildly audience-tested and calculated about this fucking music. Exempting myself from this conversation, the people who get accused of being calculated? Psht! It’s truly a joke."

He clarifies.

"Someone in the indie world is more likely to be accused by other indie people of being over-thinking, calculated psychos, when this whole fucking world of pop music has been [calculated]. It’s all this bourgeois bullshit. It’s neo-Orientalism. It’s basically like, 'Since I’m special and exist in a place of pure exemption, then this thing that the normies like is the working man’s music.' There could not be a more potent form of soft bigotry than that whole thing."

"I get to say this as someone who does not listen to that music in that way. If you asked me: “Have I ever enjoyed pop music?” Yes! Of course. If I am in a dance club and I am drunk and I’m with a beautiful woman or a group of friends, and a fun song comes on, that’s one thing. But you’re talking about people who are talking about this music, sitting at their desks, listening to 100 other songs that are indie songs and going, 'I’m sick of this. This indie shit is too indie. Blegh!'"

"When you lionize pop music, you lionize the very thing that feminism purports to be against, which is a culture of exploitation and overcharging. Which is what cracks me the fuck up when you read these ridiculous puff pieces about how wonderful major-labor pop music is, and the whole fucking industry is run like you actually buy into the idea that that woman that’s onstage, wearing next to nothing, is powerful. Because that is like being a child."

"If you think that pop stars are anything other than prisoners, then you are fucking kidding yourself. I know them. They are crying for help in their music. We think that we’re doing the world a favor by recognizing the innate wholesomeness of this form of music, like, 'Oh, I don’t know, it’s just fun! Something that was made to be liked!” But why do you think that Lady Gaga or Beyoncé would come to old Uncle Jerry over here for songs if they weren’t looking for something? If they weren’t like, 'Get me away from these fucking psychos.' Both of them know I’m not running around looking for these gigs. I’ve just done co-writes with those two people. The only reason it happened is because people played them my music and then they asked me to write for them. It’s as simple as that. I have no interest in doing it."

If you have a minute to sit and read his entire interview, I highly recommend it. Tillman finds himself in a precarious position, because he finds the twisted irony in the biz. Last year, he appeared in Del Rey's "Freak" video. “It was a dream, I’d do anything she told me to,” he jokingly said at the time. “That’s what I enjoyed about the video, just being her puppet. I like being told what to do by a woman in that position.” In other words, pop stars are prisoners in one instance, and commandeers the next.

Also, here's some generic (bomb) pop demos he decided to share. The guy is mad talented, and too smart for his own good.

Thoughts? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

I mean he's not wrong, but to assume all pop stars are prisoners who don't enjoy "the game" is ridiculous. Many pop stars love the business more than their own music to be honest :beyfedup:

All I see here is a desperate indie act looking for attention nothing else

Plus he used "Naked woman" in his album trailer ... I mean ... just go away please

Obviously artists get held back from what they want to do etc Most of the top artists are puppets otherwise in all honestly they wouldn't be big. They would probs piss everyone off. 

The whole interview overall is rude and indie music is almost the anti of pop. 

I always found Britney's sexuality very empowering. As a guy I don't even think he can relate to the empowering of Women through their sexuality. 

1 minute ago, Spearsfan said:

Obviously artists get held back from what they want to do etc Most of the top artists are puppets otherwise in all honestly they wouldn't be big. They would probs piss everyone off. 

The whole interview overall is rude and indie music is almost the anti of pop. 

I always found Britney's sexuality very empowering. As a guy I don't even think he can relate to the empowering of Women through their sexuality. 

Also he is being sexist a bit ... I don't see him commenting on male artist whom are naked as well on stage, this guy is just mad that he isn't getting much attention

I think that anyone who is contractually tied to a big world renowned record company is a "prisoner" in a way. As Britney fans, we should know. Look at the "Original Doll". Britney went on a radio station and premiered Mona Lisa by herself and it made some kind of ruckus back to her company, and the album literally disappeared. When it comes to their sexual image these people grow up so at some point their music will grow with it. But of course they don't have as much freedom as an indie artist has, but the budget is also different. The general idea is very true in a way, then his explanation is very questionable. 

1 hour ago, BraveGraphics said:

All I see here is a desperate indie act looking for attention nothing else

Plus he used "Naked woman" in his album trailer ... I mean ... just go away please

I mean I see some truth in what he said, but he's being way over dramatic and trying to make it seem like Pop music is garbage/not real music and that Indie music is better and more legit.......so he's essentially a music snob and I hate those kinds of people! He's super arrogant which is a major turn off he just sounds like a self indulgent douche bag! 

Seems like a douche. Honestly, I love Britney but I also have other artist obsessions that are way out of the realm of mainstream/ easily digestible. That being said, I'm not going to completely disagree that pop stars are kind of prisoners in a sense. I mean look at Kesha for example

But why do you think that Lady Gaga or Beyoncé would come to old Uncle Jerry over here for songs if they weren’t looking for something? If they weren’t like, 'Get me away from these fucking psychos.' Both of them know I’m not running around looking for these gigs. I’ve just done co-writes with those two people. The only reason it happened is because people played them my music and then they asked me to write for them. It’s as simple as that. I have no interest in doing it."

Dude, did anyone persuade you to write for Beyoncé and Lady Gaga? I doubt so. Seems like you did it because you wanted.

This guy is actively participating in the very system that he seems to oppose, yet he's doing the most for people to think his contribution is ironic and transgressive. He's just a pretentious cretin.

2 hours ago, breatheheavy said:

Also, you guys should really listen to the songs in the post. They're amazing. 

The irony of "Generic Pop Song #9" being actually better than most of his released stuff. The irony of him being an actual good pop writer. 

10 hours ago, breatheheavy said:

Also, you guys should really listen to the songs in the post. They're amazing. 

Also, you should try to read carefully what FJM actually said!! You got it completely WRONG about Lana and what FJM said. FJM doesn't consider LANA the same as Beyonce and Gaga. He explained his views about people like Beyonce and Gaga. He didn't say that Lana is a prisoner! Lana is calling the shots, not the other around. Dan Auerbach echoed this as well. If she was trying to cater to the masses she would be making constant upbeat music bc thats what a majority of the pop society want from her. She does what she wants and coproduces & writes her own material. FJM said that he views people like Beyonce and Gaga as prisoners. NOT PEOPLE LIKE LANA. HE IS ALWAYS CALLING LANA A GENIUS. He won't call Beyonce and Gaga geniuses, he specifically called them prisoners!

READ PROPERLY WHAT FJM SAID JORDAN. FIX YOUR MAINPAGE. ITS WRONG.

9 hours ago, lustwecantcontrol said:

I mean I see some truth in what he said, but he's being way over dramatic and trying to make it seem like Pop music is garbage/not real music and that Indie music is better and more legit.......so he's essentially a music snob and I hate those kinds of people! He's super arrogant which is a major turn off he just sounds like a self indulgent douche bag! 

There isn't "some truth" in what he said, he said the WHOLE truth as how it is EXACTLY. He is completely right 100% , get over it.

Woah... A STR8 White Man telling everybody how the world works because he says so? That never happens.

Sorry you're jelly, Britney Jean Misty - but if everyone wanted to really hear what you had to say maybe you'd be signed with a major record deal instead of making mixtapes in your closet.

Byeeeee:staysalty: