We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Sign in to follow this  
breatheheavy

Katy Perry Accepts The National Equality Award At HRC Gala In L.A.: Watch

"Real change, real evolution and real perception shift can happen if we open our minds and soften our hearts."

"Many of the people I admire and trust and work with belong to the LGBTQ community, and without them, I would be half the person I am today."

The Human Rights Campaign honored Perry with the National Equality Award at the Los Angeles gala on March 18. The honor recognizes people who use their platform and voice to publicly stand up and fight for the LGBTQ community.

Perry's speech covered her Christian past, 2008's controversial One of the Boys track "Ur So Gay" and how the LGBTQ community has overcome adversity despite the odds.

"There’s no other community that has done more to shape who I am today and there is no other community that I believe in more than you," Perry said. "This community here tonight has achieved more progress toward a more perfect union in a short amount of time as any group in our history. So I stand with you and I know that we stand together against discrimination whether it bei n the LGBTQ community or our Latino brothers and sisters or the millions of Muslims in this country."

She reflected on her past, starting with "I Kissed A Girl." "Truth be told: A) I did more than that," Perry continued. "But B) How was I going to reconcile that with the gospel singing girl raised in youth groups that (was) pro-conversion camps. What I did know is that I was curious, and even then, I knew that sexuality wasn’t as black and white as this dress."

Then came the religious bout. "My first words were mama and dada, God and Satan. Right and wrong were taught to me on felt boards and of course through the glamorous Jan Crouch crying diamond teardrops every night on that Vaseline-TBN television screen. When I was growing up, homosexuality was synonymous with the word abomination…and hell. A place of gnashing of teeth, continual burning of skin and probably Mike Pence’s ultimate guest list for a barbeque. No way, no way. I wanted the pearly gates and unlimited fro-yo toppings."

Perry said she turned to prayer following teachings of anti-homosexuality education.

"Most of my unconscious adolescence, I prayed the gay away at my Jesus camps," she revealed. "But then in the middle of it all, in a twist of events, I found my gift and my gift introduced me to people outside of my bubble. My bubble started to burst."

In the music industry, Perry was introduced to an array of LGBTQ people.

"These people were nothing like I had been taught to fear. They were the most free, strong, kind and inclusive people I have ever met. They stimulated my mind and they filled my heart with joy and they freaking danced all the while doing it," Perry continued. "These people are actually magic, and they are magic because they are living their truth. Oh my goddess, what a revelation – and not the last chapter of the Bible."

The "Roar" singer's longtime manager, Bradford Elton Cobb III, whom she describes as "one of the greatest champions of my life," is someone who inspired her new train of thought. "Many of the people I admire and trust and work with belong to the LGBTQ community, and without them, I would be half the person I am today. My life is rich in every capacity because of them. They are trusted allies that provide a safe space to fall, to not know it all and to make mistakes," she concluded at the close of her speech which was bookended by standing ovations. "I hope I stand here as evidence for all that it doesn’t matter where you come from, it is about where you are going. Real change, real evolution and real perception shift can happen if we open our minds and soften our hearts. People can change. Believe me."

Watch above.

Thoughts? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

Yes because people deserve such an award for constantly making fun of mental illness, religion, and anyone with opposing views to hers.  Modern day 'equality' at it's finest. 

I don't mean to nit-pick, but does it frustrate anyone when straight folks are awarded like this for being allies? I mean don't get me wrong, allies are important and can play an important role, but like... You get an award and all this recognition for being a decent person? She hasn't really done anything extraordinary for LGBTQ folks, and I don't think she's necessarily changed national conversations or thoughts or feelings about LGBTQ rights. So it's kinda extra that she's even receiving a National Equality award.

I didn't know Katy Perry used her voice and platform to speak for LGBTQ community. Miley Cyrus isn't even in the limelight right now and she seems more deserving than Katy. 

What qualifies her to receive this award? Because she made a video called "I Kissed A Girl", or was it the butch haircut? :plzexplain: 

Katy Perry has turned into Gaga. She's run out of ideas as an artist, and is using the gay community as a pawn for her own personal glory :begone:

PLEASE

There's no qualifications that give Perry the right to this award. In fact, Katy is incredibly problematic (obviously why she had to address "Ur So Gay" when she accepted the award).

This is Gaga 2009~ all over again - an artist who's pandering to the gays for a solid supporting audience. This is so staged and arranged, and the timing is just perfect for her upcoming era and singles tbh :forkit:

There is an arrogance and borderline evil behind everything Katy Perry says as of late. It's as if she knows  she can manipulate people and is high on the power.   I have big problems with anyone whose sincerity I doubt, and I just don't believe she means anything she says.  

Even when she teared up about her manager, her tone and gasping in the following words were so obviously contrived. I used to be a big fan of hers but she fancies herself some sort of political Dalai Lama now  and I don't know who she thinks she is fooling.

Well thank you for that song "You are so gay", which is for many people a problem and many people struggle with it, what is wrong with a feminine straight/bi boyfriend anyway? So old genderroles is the definition of perfect? Well... Not to mention that she was building her career with a homo-image "I kissed a girl" and my parents are in church and sh!t. Sry, she didn't help anyone in my opinion, yes many LGBT people like popmusic, but i am kinda done with it that straight people getting awards and stuff and just benefit without a reason, having a vagina and doing popmusic is not enough, not to mention straightguys on a gaymagazine cover but that is another topic.

16 hours ago, SlayOut said:

I don't mean to nit-pick, but does it frustrate anyone when straight folks are awarded like this for being allies? I mean don't get me wrong, allies are important and can play an important role, but like... You get an award and all this recognition for being a decent person? She hasn't really done anything extraordinary for LGBTQ folks, and I don't think she's necessarily changed national conversations or thoughts or feelings about LGBTQ rights. So it's kinda extra that she's even receiving a National Equality award.

Katy has an album coming

This is just PR for her album and brand

7 hours ago, Alexanda said:

Well thank you for that song "You are so gay", which is for many people a problem and many people struggle with it, what is wrong with a feminine straight/bi boyfriend anyway? So old genderroles is the definition of perfect? Well... Not to mention that she was building her career with a homo-image "I kissed a girl" and my parents are in church and sh!t. Sry, she didn't help anyone in my opinion, yes many LGBT people like popmusic, but i am kinda done with it that straight people getting awards and stuff and just benefit without a reason, having a vagina and doing popmusic is not enough, not to mention straightguys on a gaymagazine cover but that is another topic.

You do know that some of these celebs are gay/lesbian or bi sexual in real, but have to play hetero publicly

17 hours ago, jennyj said:

Yes because people deserve such an award for constantly making fun of mental illness, religion, and anyone with opposing views to hers.  Modern day 'equality' at it's finest. 

came here to post this so ..

30 minutes ago, Cappycorn87 said:

You do know that some of these celebs are gay/lesbian or bi sexual in real, but have to play hetero publicly

Yes i do know, but it only shows how fucked up our society is.

In reality it seems like some of them only want to sell and they know the LGBT community is an easy target for that (i mean it is popmusic, but still...)

Not to sound rude, we need allies, but Katy is not the one who can pull it off.

36 minutes ago, Alexanda said:

Yes i do know, but it only shows how fucked up our society is.

In reality it seems like some of them only want to sell and they know the LGBT community is an easy target for that (i mean it is popmusic, but still...)

Not to sound rude, we need allies, but Katy is not the one who can pull it off.

It is but the entertainment industry is a business too

There has always been rumors of Katy being a lesbian

I always thought her and Rihanna had a thing going because remeber when they used to hang around each other a lot

Rihanna-Katie-Perry-JS.jpg

aktyandrihanna.jpg

21 hours ago, Cappycorn87 said:

It is but the entertainment industry is a business too

There has always been rumors of Katy being a lesbian

I always thought her and Rihanna had a thing going because remeber when they used to hang around each other a lot

aktyandrihanna.jpg

Katy is not a lesbian because she sat closely to her friend. Sorry try again. She dates men left right and sideways. I highly doubt she's lesbian.

And even if she was, she isn't out so again please explain to me why she deserves this award :plzexplain:

23 hours ago, Cappycorn87 said:

Katy has an album coming

This is just PR for her album and brand

Exactly, she's using gay people as a pawn for her own success :nyheadache:

What a spontaneous and heart felt speech she is clearly reading off a teleprompter. I'd be interested to find out if she wrote it, since it's SO personal and 'courageous'. Also, I really don't remember 'I Kissed A Girl' starting any conversations whatsoever, I remember lesbians finding it offensive because it's basically saying 'Lol I kissed a girl to impress my boyfriend hehe lesbians are so cute and chic!'