We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

JessicaPetterson

Chance The Rapper Donates $1 Million To Chicago Schools

Chicago rapper dedicated to giving back to his city.

Chance The Rapper has made a huge donation to help public schools in Chicago.

In a press conference held earlier today, the recent Grammy winner announced his plans to give $1,000,000 to support children's education. Each school will receive $10,000 each. The sizeable donation comes as a response to Chance's unsuccessful meet with Chicago's governor, Bruce Rauner. The rapper felt the meeting was mostly "vague" and expressed his frustrations with the lack of answers given on Twitter. Chance met with the governor after he slashed public school budgets and vetoed a bill which would've seen $215 million donated to the struggling education system.

Chance said of the donation:

“This check that I donated is a call to action. I’m challenging major companies and corporations in Chicago and across the country to donate and take action."

See his full press conference here:

Chance revealed his donation came mostly from ticket sales earned through his most recent tour. Former First Lady Michelle Obama tweeted her support for the donation shortly after the announcement:

36 minutes ago, MiloszPoland said:

That's very generous but I just don't understand the idea of announcing it at a press conference :ponderney: he could donate and not make sure everybody in the media knows about it 

It brings the issues to mainstream media, though. People can't help if they don't know the problems. And it might make that governor think twice since his decisions against helping the schools is now in the news everywhere.