We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Aaron Butterfield

Katy Perry Debuts "Chained to the Rhythm" at the Grammys

Check out Katy's first performance of her new single.

The return of Katy Perry has truly begun.

After a slightly lack luster reception to comeback single "Chained to the Rhythm", Katy Perry gave a mixed performance of the lead single from her forthcoming fourth studio album. The "California Gurls" star debuted the Max Martin and Sia penned reggae-disco bop with a little help from Bob Marley's grandson, Skip Marley.

After a strange acoustic introduction from Little Big Town, Katy took to the stage against what appeared to be a white picket fence and a house that rotated across the stage. Perry's vocal left a lot to be desired, as is typical, and the performance - whilst clearly well-executed - failed to make the impact it was clearly designed to. There was something missing between the message of the song, Katy's erratic performance style and the performative aspect of the movement. Skip Marley added a burst of energy, but appeared to rely almost entirely on playback for his feature.

Ending the performance with "no hate!" and a shot of the Deceleration of Independence didn't feel like enough to hammer home the social justice message of the track.

Will Katy's performance be enough to give "Chained" a much needed chart boost? Only time will tell, but it's currently being kept out of the top 3 on iTunes by Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran. The song hasn't enjoyed the immediate success of "Roar" or "California Gurls", but the consensus appears to be that it's a grower, so let's see how it does now that it's had its first live performance.

Thoughts? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

When you look at the performance in full it wasn't bad actually. She kinda looks awkward when she jumps around but it's an ok performance I guess. I thought it'd be worse. The song is too long though.  

MESS mess mess mess

Ive never seen anyone with less rhythm or swag. She couldn't even sway to the music, let alone dance!

She is ill prepared for this era and it shows soo much.

And her head looked HUGE while her legs looked short and squaty. If Kathy Pitty herself should ever read this: Do you like that hoe? Come for Britney again, I will rip off my internet mussel and HURT YOUR FEELINGS BAD HOE

I literally can't look at her she makes me sick! I gave her the benefit of the doubt first time she had a dig at Britney and that was a BIG mistake! Goodbye and I hope your career flops as much as your attitude and judgement towards others. You need to take a large dose of your own medicine "wolf in sheeps clothing"... 

So W A I T

This Grammy producer whoever can talk shit about Britney delivering a great performance years ago as a "mistake" and then he allows for this trash performance (among many others over the years) ???? :ohi:

I think it was interesting to see her mostly performing by herself without backup dancers but I don't think it went as well as it could have. I don't dislike Katy but for a comeback it didn't seem to major, especially considering her last big performance (aside from Rise) was the superbowl. I just don't know how you can be so off tune. There are videos of her singing well, like she did Rise decently and the superbowl was pretty good, so why should this song be difficult?

8 hours ago, brocklovesgreys said:

Katy Perry isn't my favorite performer, and I'm not really for the message that this song promotes. But she is very talented and the performance itself was very good.

"very talented"

vocals x

dancing x

charisma x

where is the talent?

That performance gave me Taylor Swift vibes tbqh....(not the message because I don't think Taylor would ever take a risk like that...just the way she actually performed.)

It didn't make me enjoy the song more and I still don't feel the need to download it lol. And I normally bop to Katy but this is just all around disappointing.