We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JessicaPetterson

Frank Ocean Blasts The Grammy Awards, Solange Shares It

12 posts in this topic

Says 1989 should not have won Album Of The Year.

UPDATE // FEBRUARY 12:

Following Beyonce's loss for Album of the Year at the Grammys, sister Solange, who won Best R&B Performance For "Cranes In The Sky," shared Frank Ocean's post on Tumblr slamming the Grammys. "Winning a TV award doesn’t christen me successful," he said. "It took me some time to learn that…I’ve actually been tuning into CBS around this time of year for a while to see who gets the top honor and you know what’s really not ‘great TV’ guys? 1989 getting album of the year over To Pimp A Butterfly. Hands down one of the most ‘faulty’ TV moments I’ve seen."

Sharing his sentiments are Kanye West and Drake, all of whom opted out of the Grammys because they feel it doesn't represent the black music community. Justin Bieber also decided not to attend because he thinks the show is irrelevant.

See Solange's Tweet below:

EARLIER // FEBRUARY 12:

Frank Ocean Blasts The Grammy Awards

Never one to tow the company line, Frank Ocean unleashed on the Grammy Awards today on Tumblr, calling out everything from the production value to Taylor Swift's history making win last year:

"OK KEN (AND DAVID). AS MUCH AS I HATE TO MAKE YOU GUYS FAMOUS OR EVEN RESPOND TO YOU DIRECTLY. WE ALL DIE ONE DAY AND YOU’RE OLD SO FUCK IT. YEA YEA MY 2013 PERFORMANCE AT THE GRAMMYS WAS ABSOLUTE SHIT. TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES, BLAH BLAH. THANKS FOR THE REMINDER. VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

FUCK THAT PERFORMANCE THOUGH. YOU THINK THAT’S WHY I KEPT MY WORK OUT OF THE GRAMMY PROCESS THIS YEAR? DON’T YOU THINK I WOULD’VE WANTED TO PLAY THE SHOW TO ‘REDEEM’ MYSELF IF I FELT THAT WAY? IN REALITY, I ACTUALLY WANTED TO PARTICIPATE IN HONORING PRINCE ON THE SHOW BUT THEN I FIGURED MY BEST TRIBUTE TO THAT MAN’S LEGACY WOULD BE TO CONTINUE TO BE MYSELF OUT HERE AND TO BE SUCCESSFUL. WINNING A TV AWARD DOESN’T CHRISTEN ME SUCCESSFUL. IT TOOK ME SOME TIME TO LEARN THAT. I BOUGHT ALL MY MASTERS BACK LAST YEAR IN THE PRIME OF MY CAREER, THAT’S SUCCESSFUL. BLONDE SOLD A MILLION PLUS WITHOUT A LABEL, THAT’S SUCCESSFUL. I AM YOUNG, BLACK, GIFTED AND INDEPENDENT.. THAT’S MY TRIBUTE.

I’VE ACTUALLY BEEN TUNING INTO CBS AROUND THIS TIME OF YEAR FOR A WHILE TO SEE WHO GETS THE TOP HONOR AND YOU KNOW WHAT’S REALLY NOT 'GREAT TV’ GUYS? 1989 GETTING ALBUM OF THE YEAR OVER TO PIMP A BUTTERFLY. HANDS DOWN ONE OF THE MOST 'FAULTY’ TV MOMENTS I’VE SEEN. BELIEVE THE PEOPLE. BELIEVE THE ONES WHO’D RATHER WATCH SELECT PERFORMANCES FROM YOUR PROGRAM ON YOUTUBE THE DAY AFTER BECAUSE YOUR SHOW PUTS THEM TO SLEEP. USE THE OLD GRAMOPHONE TO ACTUALLY LISTEN BRO, I’M ONE OF THE BEST ALIVE. AND IF YOU’RE UP FOR A DISCUSSION ABOUT THE CULTURAL BIAS AND GENERAL NERVE DAMAGE THE SHOW YOU PRODUCE SUFFERS FROM THEN I’M ALL FOR IT. HAVE A GOOD NIGHT."

Ocean's fighting words came after the aforementioned producer Ken Ehrlich and writer David Wild claimed in a Rolling Stone podcast that Frank refused to submit his 2016 album Blond for Grammy consideration after a poor performance last time he attended the ceremony:

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, JessicaExhale said:

BELIEVE THE ONES WHO’D RATHER WATCH SELECT PERFORMANCES FROM YOUR PROGRAM ON YOUTUBE THE DAY AFTER BECAUSE YOUR SHOW PUTS THEM TO SLEEP. 

:hype:

:hype:   :hype:   :hype:

I don't know if I agree or disagree with him.

He's definitely saying some truths but it seems a liltle bit arrogant.

1 hour ago, Benjie said:

I don't know if I agree or disagree with him.

He's definitely saying some truths but it seems a liltle bit arrogant.

He is too full of himself. I hate 1989/Taylor but r&b and rap actually have more wins and categories than pop. 

The Grammys are a disaster. Beyoncé and Taylor have too many 

Can I say entitled? That's a word that comes to my mind with so many artists today. It's crazy to read anyone, doesn't matter how talented they are, say "I'm gifted" and so on. I'm tired of it. They need recognition all the time, just like spoiled kids, we keep telling them how talented, gifted and beautiful they are. The thing is they end up thinking they're better than anyone. Seeing so many artists attack Taylor is getting annoying and an ALL CAPS message? Did he get lessons from Kanye or something? :boredashell:

Grammys are given for a number of reasons. Composition, production, songwriting, etc. 1989,  regardless of how you feel about Taylor Swift, was an absolute pop masterpiece.

No wonder he and Kanye west are friends; they are both entitled and arrogant.  I cannot stand artists who continually have to profess how gifted they are. Frank ocean is great; I purchased his previous album. I think he is talented but by no means God's gift nor do I think to Pimp a Butterfly is superior to 1989.  Artist like him are setting a precedent that is unfortunately becoming the norm: tell  everyone you are the greatest and you will be.

For me, and artist's integrity is as important as his work.   If I think a singer is a prick, I struggle to support him. I will probably have a hard time delineating Ocean's work from his music going forward, just as I do with Kanye.

Lmao 1989 was bland and basic af. Taylor Swift is a mediocre singer and her lyrics are so cringeworthy. To Pimp a Butterfly was a beautiful album celebrating black culture that explored important political and personal themes, and in my opinion, was far superior. It has substance, all 1989 has is big sales. Anyways, Frank Ocean IS gifted, I don't think it's entitled to be proud of what you've achieved. I'm glad he's spilling that tea cause fuck the grammys :kisses:

47 minutes ago, Zeik89 said:

Grammys are given for a number of reasons. Composition, production, songwriting, etc. 1989,  regardless of how you feel about Taylor Swift, was an absolute pop masterpiece.

No wonder he and Kanye west are friends; they are both entitled and arrogant.  I cannot stand artists who continually have to profess how gifted they are. Frank ocean is great; I purchased his previous album. I think he is talented but by no means God's gift nor do I think to Pimp a Butterfly is superior to 1989.  Artist like him are setting a precedent that is unfortunately becoming the norm: tell  everyone you are the greatest and you will be.

For me, and artist's integrity is as important as his work.   If I think a singer is a prick, I struggle to support him. I will probably have a hard time delineating Ocean's work from his music going forward, just as I do with Kanye.

Well said!  I couldn't agree more.