We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Sign in to follow this  
JamesExhale

Ed Sheeran Defends Mariah Carey's NYE Debacle: I Didn’t Find That Funny

Ed to the rescue!

That was no laughing matter, according to Ed.

In case you were living under a rock, Mariah Carey had a turbulent time during her New Year’s Eve performance in Times Square and everyone seemed to slam the pop titan for the set. However, Ed Sheeran is the exception to that wave of criticism.

Earlier this week, Sheeran continued his promo for his new songs and stopped by "Cubby And Carolina In The Morning" of 103.5 KTU to weigh in on MC's slaughter. "I feel like that could happen to anyone. That’s happened to me before when the in-ears just didn’t work,” he said in her defense. "She’s in the middle of Times Square with no monitors. It’s really difficult. You can’t sing in time for that. . . .I know people are watching that and poking fun at her, but that’s a really, really horrible situation to be in. You’re just there, powerless.”

“That could [happen] to me and I’d hate for people to think I’m not musical because the sound wasn’t working properly,” he added.

In fact, Mariah’s debacle once happened to Sheeran when he was performing with Taylor Swift. Always one to look for the silver lining, he said that at least he can say that the set was live and it wasn’t entirely dependent on a backing track.

Listen to Ed talk about the Mariah debacle at the 4:30 mark below!

Thoughts? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

Her dancers also had no in ears. why didnt they miss a beat? Also she clearly mimed a couple of times so she could hear well enough. I just dont get why she didnt shut it down immediatley?? The whole thing was just strange.

Also Christinas in ears were disconnected here and yes she didnt sound amazing, but the show must go on. it was just super unprofessional. Britneys in ears constantly used to fall out but she was always on the beat (dancing not singing obviously) Pink has had to continue her show without her in ears. EVERYONE has something like that happen.

Pinks mic fell of during her performance here and she was more professional

27 minutes ago, The Greatest Show said:

Her dancers also had no in ears. why didnt they miss a beat?

Prove it, I looked it up and couldn't find anything about this.

Dancers usually use IEMs to stay in sync with the beat. They were probably wearing them here too.

5 minutes ago, The Greatest Show said:

yes I can Its near her ellbow.

Ok, but the fact she took it out meant there's an issue with it, right?

And I'm sure it's not difficult for the dancers to hear the rhythm, Mariah has to pay attention to certain cues in the music which is more difficult.

Just now, danny1994 said:

Ok, but the fact she took it out meant there's an issue with it, right?

And I'm sure it's not difficult for the dancers to hear the rhythm, Mariah has to pay attention to certain cues in the music which is more difficult.

look I feel bad for her and I understand that it was a difficult situaltion. I also understand that singing when you cant hear yourself sucks but  I just dont get her reaction at all. It was super unprofessional. Imo she had 2 choices

1. Immediatley say at the begging "stop I cant hear anything"  or

2. Try her best to carry on with the performance.

What she did made her look really bad and im sure that she knew that. Miming along and then putting the mic down while the background vocals were going?? That just makes no sense at all. I dont understand how every artist out there manages mishaps very well and she made a complete joke out of herself.  That being said I do feel bad for her and I hope she has g great year and gets to publiclly slay to stop people from talking.

6 minutes ago, The Greatest Show said:

She said "put these monitors on please" and "we're missing some of this vocal but it is what it is."

She could've been more clear, but she addressed it. If the IEMs weren't working and there were pre-recorded vocals missing, I can see how she was thrown off. I don't want to defend the lip syncing too much, but we know she has a great voice and it's common for artists in cold, loud conditions like that to use pre-recorded vocals

Just now, danny1994 said:

She said "put these monitors on please" and "we're missing some of this vocal but it is what it is."

She could've been more clear, but she addressed it. If the IEMs weren't working and there were pre-recorded vocals missing, I can see how she was thrown off. I don't want to defend the lip syncing too much, but we know she has a great voice and it's common for artists in cold, loud conditions like that to use them.

I dont care about the lip syncing at all. Ive defended artists who sometimes lipsync because sometimes its just necessary.

I just dont think she made herself clear enough. I couldnt even understand what she was saying i just herd mubmle mumble mumble and saw her continuing. She should have stood there and said STOP. The performance was time delayed they could have cut that out and have her start over.

But yeah it is what it is and im sure looking back she would probably do someting different. Its always easy to talk about something if you werent put in that situation.

4 hours ago, The Greatest Show said:

look I feel bad for her and I understand that it was a difficult situaltion. I also understand that singing when you cant hear yourself sucks but  I just dont get her reaction at all. It was super unprofessional. Imo she had 2 choices

2. Try her best to carry on with the performance.

What she did made her look really bad and im sure that she knew that. Miming along and then putting the mic down while the background vocals were going?? That just makes no sense at all. I dont understand how every artist out there manages mishaps very well and she made a complete joke out of herself.  That being said I do feel bad for her and I hope she has g great year and gets to publiclly slay to stop people from talking.

Actually, she clearly said at the beginning "We can't hear" and she took off her ear monitors in hopes of hearing something, but the noise was too loud. And she couldn't stop because her performance was just before midnight and it was live (eastern time), so the broadcasters were following a tight schedule and every second was capital; it was New Year's Eve, so she couldn't handle the malfunctions like any other show. Plus, she kept babbling about her ear monitors because in doing so, she was hoping that the technicians would resolve the problem.

whether mariah's incident is legit or not, i love ed even more for sticking up to her instead of being a fellow bully :queenriri: he's a perfect guy to me

12 hours ago, The Greatest Show said:

Her dancers also had no in ears. why didnt they miss a beat?

Because the beat is loud and because dancers only have to deliver the moves on the right time.
As you can see, Mariah certainly knew which part they are on, but she could be disastously out of tune if she couldn't hear herself.
That's why they usually lip sync in bigger event. Because the crowd and the noise can really affect you.

@The Greatest Show I totally agree with you.Most of the people didn't attack her for lipsyncing but for the unprofessional way she handled the situation.

On the other hand after a 30 years old legendary career she just had a bad moment and we just have to move on.I don't understand why it's still news.