We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
breatheheavy

Tinashe Recalls Recording Nightmare Experience And Double Standards In The Industry

14 posts in this topic

"I couldn’t as an artist get behind these lyrics."

Tinashe opens up about an unsavory experience recording music with RCA.

The "Company" singer has had her fair share of industry struggles since breaking onto the scene. Fans have anticipated her forthcoming album Joyride for quite some time, but for one reason or another it's consistently pushed back. To appease fans, she dropped a mixtape titled Nightride, a prequel to the upcoming LP if you will, and can't fully answer why her album hasn't dropped yet.

Perhaps this new audio recording will shed some light onto the ongoing saga.

Tinashe makes a brief cameo on a new episode of actress Lena Dunham's podcast series Women of the Hour. She details a harrowing encounter with studio execs pressuring her to record lyrics she felt disjointed to.

Related:
Watch Tinashe’s Dance Heavy “Company” Music Video

“When the song started going in a direction theme-wise that I wasn’t particularly fond of, I said: ‘Hey, maybe we can try something from a different perspective.’ I was never one to not voice my opinion. My note seemed to be brushed off. Everyone else felt that the concept was… genius.”

“I wanted to be respectful, so I thought, ‘OK, maybe we can work on this idea for awhile, and then we can create something that is more in my wheelhouse later. My A&R from my record label was there, and I, as a new artist, with no hit to my name, felt an unspoken pressure to allow everyone else in the room to take the lead.”

She explains pulling her A&R aside to express how uncomfortable she felt.

“I did not want to record this song. I didn’t mean to be difficult or to waste anyone’s time, but I couldn’t, as an artist, get behind these lyrics.”

During Tinashe’s experience, she recalls bursting into tears and feeling utterly defeated.

“I also couldn’t help but feel that this would never have been the reaction if some of my male peers had expressed how they felt. Why was I as as young woman treated more as though I had won some type of prize in being here? Maybe a beauty contest or a popularity contest and not with the full respect as an artist.”

She goes on to say she caved and begrudgingly ended up recording the song that she "hated," but the ordeal taught her a very valuable lesson: the ability to express her feelings.

Listen here:

Thoughts? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

14 minutes ago, s0dap0p said:

Poor Tinasha :embarrassney: Hope Britney gets out of that poof label soon :byebitch:

Hope she takes Tinasha right with her. Imagine her going into the direction of her mixtape with the power of a big label and a GOOD management :letitburn:

3 hours ago, s0dap0p said:

Poor Tinasha :embarrassney: Hope Britney gets out of that poof label soon :byebitch:

She goes on to say she caved and begrudgingly ended up recording the song that she "hated,"

That quote brought Britney up to me :( recording songs you hate, overworking you, not taking your own stuff or wants seriously in favor of something basic 

“I wanted to be respectful, so I thought, ‘OK, maybe we can work on this idea for awhile, and then we can create something that is more in my wheelhouse later. My A&R from my record label was there, and I, as a new artist, with no hit to my name, felt an unspoken pressure to allow everyone else in the room to take the lead.”

She still doesn't have one :sassybrit:

38 minutes ago, justkeepdoingit said:

RCA is waiting for SP to take off, my guess... but someone tell those dipshits that it won't unless they do smth about it. :xcuseme:

TBH, the song it's great and it's not doing that bad on radio, but no promo performances, so it won't take off, I guess Britney is too busy right now to promote the song, and she definitely won't since POM starts on wednesday. :forkit:

14 hours ago, Camilo said:

She still doesn't have one :sassybrit:

"2 On" peaked at #24 on BBH100 and was actually certified platinum, while "All Hands on Deck" did really well on US Rhythmic and R&B charts. Not huge hits to be sure, but relatively successful nonetheless (especially the former). :pieceofwhat:

Record companies are the devil and they have been since around the mid-00's when they started to shelve and delay artists' albums in favor of other artists for competition, marketability, audience-reactions, etc etc etc.... 

Record companies have single-handedly destroyed careers, and their contracts have ensured the artist had no choice but to let them.