We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
breatheheavy

Ed Sheeran Settles $20 Million Lawsuit For Allegedly Copying "Photograph" From Matt Cardle's "Amazing"

8 posts in this topic

Ed Sheeran once said his song "Photograph" "will be the one that will change [his]... career path," but a lawsuit wasn't what he had in mind.

ed-sheeran-lawsuit-amazing-photograph

UPDATE // APRIL 10, 2017:

Ed Sheeran's $20 million "Photograph" lawsuit is behind him.

According to THR, court papers were filed dismissing the case with prejudice, and a stipulation stated that a California federal court would "retain jurisdiction to enforce the terms of an agreement." It's not known what the settlement entailed, but Sheeran, Sony/ATV and Warner Music likely ponied up something to avoid the case escalating further.

The news comes several weeks after Sheeran added TLC's "No Scrubs" co-writers to the writing credits of "Shape Of You," probably to avoid another headache like this.

EARLIER // JUNE 8, 2016:

Ed Sheeran once said his song "Photograph" "will be the one that will change [his]... career path," but a lawsuit wasn't what he had in mind.

The No. 1 charting song is facing a $20 million lawsuit from two songwriters, Martin Harrington and Thomas Leonard, along with their publishing company HaloSongs for their song "Amazing" which was released by 2010 X Factor winner Matt Cardle. They claim "Photograph" is a "verbatim, note-for-note" copy of "Amazing."

The duo feels so strongly about their case, they brought in the big guns and hired attorney Richard Busch, who championed the Marvin Gaye family in their copyright battle against Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams over the hit, "Blurred Lines." They ended up winning a $5.3 million judgment.

"My clients are professional songwriters," says Busch of Harrington and Leonard, who wrote songs for Kylie Minogue and Spice Girl Emma Bunton. "Their work is their life, and I am honored that they have trusted me with this very important case."

They offered a chords comparison, saying there are 39 identical notes (about 70%) in pitch, rhythmic duration and placement in the measure, according to Billboard.

ed-sheeran-chords

"The songs' similarities reach the very essence of the work," states the complaint. "The similarities go beyond substantial, which is itself sufficient to establish copyright infringement, and are in fact striking. The similarity of words, vocal style, vocal melody, melody, and rhythm are clear indicators, among other things, that 'Photograph' copies 'Amazing.'"

The complaint estimates Sheeran has raked in more than $20 million, so the plaintiffs are seeking statutory damages and either an injunction or a running royalty.

Listen to both of the songs below to compare:

Do YOU think they sound the same? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram.

This is just borderline ridiculous. It's not even like last year's case where the opposition could at least imply that "Blurred Lines" was inspired by a real hit. This time around we're supposed to believe that Ed Sheeran was so desperate for a song that he purposefully chose to steal the production from a song that peaked in the Top 80s in the UK and didn't even see release in America... Yeah, somehow I doubt that.

Granted there are some similarities between the two songs, but frankly I think that "Photograph" was one of Ed's more reductive releases from last year anyway. Given time I'd say that there are plenty of songs that it sounds like. 

I'm not an Ed Sheeran fan at all by any means, but I'm seriously over these nobodies coming out of the woodworks 2 years after a song is released to complain that it's lyrics/production/melodies were stolen from said nobodies.

i'm not saying it can't or won't or hasn't happen(ed), but give me a break already :NYheadache:

I have to say these actually sound very similiar... both lyrically and sound-wise lol.

2 hours ago, jcf523 said:

I'm not an Ed Sheeran fan at all by any means, but I'm seriously over these nobodies coming out of the woodworks 2 years after a song is released to complain that it's lyrics/production/melodies were stolen from said nobodies.

i'm not saying it can't or won't or hasn't happen(ed), but give me a break already :NYheadache:

In case you didn't know, even they just announced this now... they could have filed this a long time ago.  It takes months/years for the court to process such a ruling... which is why often we hear about such things months/years later.

9 hours ago, jennyj said:

I have to say these actually sound very similiar... both lyrically and sound-wise lol.

In case you didn't know, even they just announced this now... they could have filed this a long time ago.  It takes months/years for the court to process such a ruling... which is why often we hear about such things months/years later.

Lol yeah, of course I understand that claims can take several months or even years to get their day in court. :uknowit:  

What I'm saying is, did these randoms all file their claims at the same time? it's just been really excessive lately imo